Rich-text Reply

How to organize Optimizely goals?

dombur 07-26-16

How to organize Optimizely goals?

Hi everyone,

I wonder if there's a best practice to organize goals across different experiments. Is it better to create new goals for each experiment or should we ensure that goals can be re-used in different experiments?

I'm also interested in naming conventions for goals. Do you think it's useful to add an experiment identifier (e.g. Exp01: CTA clicked) into the name of each goal?

Thanks,
Dominik

Level 2

Reneevl 07-28-16

Re: How to organize Optimizely goals?

Hi Dominik,

Goals can be re-used across different experiments.

It's easy to share common goals between experiments in a project without having to recreate them for each experiment. To add a goal that you've already created, click Add a Saved Goal. This will bring you to a listing of your saved goals. Mouse over any of the goals in the list and choose Add to add it to the experiment you're editing. 

Read more about setting up your goals here.

If you run into any problems with tracking your goals you can use this article to try and troubleshoot your goals.

Also I would advise you to QA(Quality Assurance) your experiment before setting it live. This way you can see what works best for you regarding to the naming of the goals and you make sure that your experiment runs correctly.

Read more about QA-ing your experiment here.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Renée van Leijen
Optimizely
dombur 07-28-16

Re: How to organize Optimizely goals?

[ Edited ]

Hi Rénee,

Thanks for getting back to me. I already know that it's possible to add saved goals and of course we're QAing every single experiment before we go live. I would much prefer to get a recommocdation about how we should do it best. We're testing 1'000'000 unique visitors each month (and in Aug we get additional 600k UVs/month) - That means we have a lot of experiments and goals to deal with. So it would be great to have a proper goal resp. experiment management.

Is there a best practice? Would you recommend to use goals across different experiments? And what about naming conventions?

Thanks,
Dominik

Level 2