Rich-text Reply

How to see Event Tags in Results

cubelodyte 05-15-17

How to see Event Tags in Results

I've read the post by sergedo on essentially the same topic here:

https://community.optimizely.com/t5/Using-Optimizely/Using-custom-event-tags-in-Experiment-reporting...

But I'm very disappointed with the conclusion. Perhaps if it were stated another way, we might get a deeper discussion going.

We had high hopes for the extended meta data aspects of Events in Optimizely X as opposed to the single-dimensional 'trackEvent' API call in Classic. However, I'm having trouble locating documentation that would suggest how I can actually use the tag after setting it. 

Here's the scenario...maybe someone can point us in a better direction than segmentation and audiences. What we need to do transcends Audiences and even if we could manage to finesse this into a workable solution, the results would be exceptionally difficult to translate to a broader stakehold base. 

Scenario:

Our site has only 3 pages that result in KPIs. Consequently, our experiments span sitewide regardless of whether or not the variations are confined to a single page. Because of this, we need to identify the page source and often section source of an event to compare with totals that are accumulated from the full site. 

With Classic, in order to track multiple aspects of an event, we would fire a series of custom events for each event then define separate Goals for each aspect. 

Example:

To track several distinguishing markers for a Lead event, our custom event code call 'trackEvent' 3 to 4 times upon successful completion of a Lead. 

1. Lead - All Pages
  2. Lead - [origin page]
  3. Lead - [origin page][page section]
  4. Lead - [origin page][page section][form type]

This allows us the ability to define corresponding Goals for:

1. Total leads on Site
  2. Total leads from a specific page
  3. Total leads from a specific section on the page
  4. Total leads from a specific form type 
  5. Total leads from a specific form type on a specific page
  6. etc.

As you can see, this is a lot of overhead for each event and could lead to timing issues and all manner of undesirable digital shinanigans. 

With the advent of Optimizely X and the Event Tag, our hope is that we could simply generate a single Event in this instance with the following eventTags:

window["optimizely"].push({
  type: "event",
  eventName: "email_lead",
  tags: { // Additional metadata for targeting (optional)
    page: "listing",
    section: "paid",
    formType: "popup"
  }
});

With this, the expectation was that when defining the Goal (now called Event) we would be able to identify specific eventTags to separate the distinctive aspects of the event. 

Unfortunately, when creating Custom Events, the interface offers only "API Name". Using the example above, It is not clear at this point, how we would track Email Leads by Page, Section, or Form Type.

Scott Ehly
Manager of Site Optimization
sehly@rentpath.com

'The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.' - George Bernard Shaw
tomfuertes 05-15-17

Re: How to see Event Tags in Results

Hey Scott!

Unfortunately you can't get that level of reporting still. Those "attributes" only roll back into audiences at the moment. You can still use Custom Dimensions per the original post which we find helpful.

To be frank in an effort to be helpful, it seems like you're trying to shotgun your goal strategy to measure everything. We find the best path forward is to ask "how would the hypothesis affect the goals?" and then make sure you're setup to measure. I'd suggest

1) Goal for SiteWide KPI (api: main-kpi-all)
2) Goal for Page Specific KPI (api: page1-kpi-all, page2-kpi-all)
3) Story Goals (api: form-popup, sidebar-form-seen, etc...)

Hope that helps!
-Tom

- Tom Fuertes | CTO @ CROmetrics / LinkedIn
"Most Impactful Use of Personalization" and "Experience of the Year" Optie award winner.
Experimentation Hero
JasonDahlin 05-15-17

It appears that the data passed along with the events (described here https://developers.optimizely.com/x/solutions/javascript/reference/index.html#function_setevent) can be exported via the API call so you can import them into <your analytics tool of choice> (https://developers.optimizely.com/x/behavior/#event-objects).

Separately, it sounds like you are wanting to be able to create Ad-Hoc reporting on a non-finite list of attributes, such as what we would do in Site Catalyst, like:

1- column "event"

2- rows for "page name" broken down by "section name"

Event
Total                 650
1- page name          350
    1- section 1      250
    2- section 2       75
    3- section 3       25
2- page name          200
    1- section 1      100
    2- section 2       75
    3- section 3       25
3- page name          100
    1- section 1       60
    2- section 2       30
    3- section 3       10

Perhaps the community can help identify some free/low cost reporting tools that can import the data and allow you to slice it up like you want.

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy

Experimentation Hero
cubelodyte 05-15-17

Tom,
Thanks for your concern, but this approach is not about individual experiments, it's about creating a series of potential events that can be measured.

You're absolutely correct. To measure every facet of every event on every experiment would be absurd; as well as making a win/lose call far too complicated.

Every experiment has 3 true KPIs at most.

That said...
Not every experiment uses every metric but every metric needs to be potentially available.

None of these events fires unless specifically requested by Experiment. What I'm creating is a single generic routine that will tell me, with detail, whatever is determined essential for a given testing scenario.

In addition, I use blank experiments to measure metrics that we are not always set up to measure by any other means.
Scott Ehly
sehly@rentpath.com

'The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.' - George Bernard Shaw
cubelodyte 05-15-17

Jason, 

That's good to know about the export. I suspected as much. 

As it stands, I'm fully set up to get every bit of detail I need. I was just hoping the Event Tag would simplify things because it could really be useful if the Event (metric) structure was equipped to harness its power.

Perhaps in some future release. 

Meanwhile, I'm parsing out the event attributes just fine. I have a routine in the Project code that is only run if an Experiment initializes it. In the initialize call, each experiment passes a list of only the events it wants. 

We have a small list of Primary KPIs that are always measured and that's it. 

Scott Ehly
sehly@rentpath.com