Rich-text Reply

If a visitor with custom dimension A=1 changes their behavior to A=2

Tammy 03-18-16

If a visitor with custom dimension A=1 changes their behavior to A=2

Hello,

I would like to know how strong a custom dimension stain to visitors.

I learned segments by audience group are stored in optimizelySegments and will never be overwritten so that new visitors will be forever new visitors if they are actually returners if they are segmented by Optimizely segment as "new visitor" at first visit once, so we need to be carefull to use that.

Now I'm wondering how about custom dimension.

For example:

Mr. X who was once segmented once before by below....

optimizely.push(['setDimensionValue', 'A', 'Hamburgers'])

Then next, Mr. X calls below....

optimizely.push(['setDimensionValue', 'favorite_food', 'Sushi'])

After of above, "favorite_food=Hamburgers" and "favorite_food=Sushi", which can we use to segment Mr. X?

I read https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200040865#custom_dimensions but couldn't find something like optimizelySegment, overwrite or not etc what I wanted to know.

Please let me know.

Thank you,

Tamie
Level 6

Tammy 03-18-16

Re: If a visitor with custom dimension A=1 changes their behavior to A=2

Sorry typo!

optimizely.push(['setDimensionValue', 'A', 'Hamburgers']) is wrong, I wanted to write optimizely.push(['setDimensionValue', ''favorite_food', 'Hamburgers'])

Sorry!
Tamie
Level 6
JDahlinANF 03-18-16

[ Edited ]

A visitor can only have one value for a dimension at a time.  If their food was hamburgers, but is now sushi, they will show up in the sushi segment.  But...

If there is a conversion event that happens while they are in the "hamburgers" group, the conversion will show up in the "hamburgers" group not the current "sushi" group.

Make sense?

So... a Dimension is an attribute that describes your visitor as they are right now.

In the reporting, the goals are attributed to the value of that dimension at the time the goal was reached.

If the user changes dimensions after the goal is triggered, the goal sticks with the previous dimension value even though the user is now classified differently.

A quick example:

1- User comes to the site and has never purchased before, so you may set a dimension such as:

purchaser = no previous purchases

2- This user then buys something.  The conversion goal will show that a "no previous purchases" member bought something. 

3- Now that the user has bought something, you give the user a new value for this dimension:

purchaser = 1 previous purchase

If the user buys anything else, the 2nd conversion will show up in the "1 previous purchase" group.

Tammy 03-30-16

Thank you @JDahlinANF,

Thank you for your answer and very sorry for my late response.

Your advise helped me a lot, it sounds like custom dimension relates to every event not to user (cookie), right? It's great!
But actually I can't see custom dimension related to every event on my demo... maybe I'm using it weird way.
I'll share that when I finished my demo test for custom dimension!

Thank you so much!
Tamie
Level 6