Implementing a "global" test (e.g., changing a header/top nav element?)
My company is new to Optimizely--so this is an entry-level question. If it's been asked before I apologize; I didn't put together the right search terms in the FAQ or here to get an answer to this.
Is there a way to implement an A/B test on a global element that would persist throughout a website? We want to test the performance of a top navigation element vs another--I seem to only find a way to specify one URL vs another.
No apologies necessary! I think this is the article you're looking for: https://learn.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/201
In a nutshell, the process is:
1) Load a page containing the global element in the editor
2) Select the element and make changes as desired
3) In Options > Targeting, enter a URL which will allow the experiment to run on all pages on the site. Usually I use a substring match of the domain name, but it's up to you to decide what will work best for your site.
4) Set up goals and traffic allocation as normal
5) Using the tips in the following article, do some quality-checking before setting the experiment live: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/2018
I'd recommend reading through the first article I linked to, as it contains more detail than my simple explanation. If you have any trouble setting up the experiment, just let me know and I'll be happy to provide further advice.