Rich-text Reply

Implementing ecommerce goals / revenue tracking

David77 03-22-16

Implementing ecommerce goals / revenue tracking

Hey guys
We want to implement the revenue tracking. Optimizely is integrated with the google tag manager. We also got the data layer variable like in the article: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039865-Revenue-tracking-goals?flash_digest=46354099...

Unfortunately there is no revenue data in the results. Maybe the GTM settings are wrong. Does we need to implement both tags (one for the snippet and one for the ecommerce data which only triggers on the checkout-succes page). 

Thanks! 

Level 1

DavidS 03-23-16

Re: Implementing ecommerce goals / revenue tracking

Hi David77,

Thanks for reaching out!

I understand that you would like to implement revenue tracking on a setup that includes Optimizely and Google Tag Manager. 

In order to better assist, I may need a bit more of information on what your setup looks like:

- I see on your website that GTM is implemented and consequently the Optimizely snippet loads in the body. Do you have a constraint on implementing the snippet with GTM specifically? The reason I am pointing this out is because this is not the recommended way of implementing Optimizely as GTM will load Optimizely asynchronously whereas it should always be loaded synchronously.  The preferred way is to hard-code on your webpage directly. You can find out more about this by clicking here.

- How did you implement the revenue tracking call within GTM? The recommended way to do so is with this tutorial from our Knowledge Base

If you're having issues with troubleshooting, would you mind sending me screenshots of your GTM configuration so I can investigate further? If you don't want to share the images publicly, you can pm me directly the link to the images.

I hope that is helpful. Feel more than free to reply back with any additional questions at all.

Best,
David

Optimizely
David72 03-28-16

Thanks for your response. I have two profiles...

We have two tags in the GTM. The first one is the normal snippet which fires on all pages types and the other is the ecommerce tag like in the article which fires only on the success confirmation page after the order.

I think this is not correct. Does we need two tags or just one?

Thank you
Level 1
DavidS 03-29-16

Hi David72,

Thanks for your response.

You should have one tag for the Optimizely snippet and one for the revenue goal. 

I logged into the account linked to your Optiverse email address and could not find any experiment for this account. Would you mind posting a link to your website so i can have a look? If you don't want to share the URL publicly, you can pm me directly the link. It would also help to access either read-only access to your GTM account and screenshots of relevant parts. If you don't want to share them publicly, you can send me a private message. 

Let's get to the bottom of this! 

Best,
David

Optimizely

Hello David, 

Hoping you can help with a similar request, we are hard coding the Optimizely snippet and want to set up the revenue tracking code as well. I know it needs to go on the confirmation page but I can't see in your documentation whereabouts it should be implemented, does it go in the body? Also can this one be fired through GTM?

Regards

James