Rich-text Reply

Inserted Text/Link into Header but it won't display outside the editor....

SH13 10-15-14
Accepted Solution

Inserted Text/Link into Header but it won't display outside the editor....

Using the editor, I inserted text into the header of our webpage, and then edited the HTML to link the added text to a form page. I also changed some cosmetic features and placement of the text. It displays in the editor as I would like, but when I tried to add a click goal to the element, Optimizely didn't recognize it. It does not show in the window for the goals. Additionally, I tried to run the experiment to see if this was a problem with the live view, and the experiment will not display the changes. I am doing a substring match on the domain to apply the change across the site since it's a universal header. I am also sending all visitors to the experiment page, with no special audiences selected. I am at a loss as to what the problem is, and this needs to go live asap. Any ideas or anyone else who's run into this before, I'd love to hear about them. Thank you!

Level 2

Amanda 10-15-14

Re: Inserted Text/Link into Header but it won't display outside the editor....

All great questions. 

1) To add a click goal to brand new content on the page, you actually need to do it within the editor, not within the goals UI. The goals UI will always show you the original version of your page since it's essentially just iframing your URL. Check out this support article for details on how to set up your click goal on the new element: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039905#new_content_new

2) In regards to why it's not showing up -- can you please clear your cookies, start the experiment and try again?  Also, is the new banner showing up in the preview mode? It sounds like you have everything correctly set up so that a universal banner will appear on your site. I tested your variation and the banner seemed to be appearing for me. 

Looking forward to hearing back! Hope this helps you get your experiment up and running Smiley Happy

Optimizely
SH13 10-15-14

Thank you! I had cleared my cookies once, but I went through an incognito window this time, and it displayed fine. I'm going to assume I just didn't go back far enough in the history. Thank you for the info on goal set-up, and the speedy response! It should be good to go. Smiley Happy
Level 2
adzeds 10-16-14

I use incognito mode for all my testing!

@Amanda - Maybe Optimizely should add that somewhere as advise for users testing/previewing their URLs.
David Shaw
Level 11