Rich-text Reply

Is it possible to set targeting conditions at the variation level?

Case 12-04-14
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to set targeting conditions at the variation level?

Hey all,

Has anyone managed to set targeting conditions at the variation level within one experiment? We occasionally create page variations within our CMS and then do split URL testing within Optimizely, but we have a unqiue situation were we want to both split traffic to a different, unique URL (variation A), and we also want to edit the content in the new variation using the Optimizely editor (variation B)? 

A key reason why this functionality would be valuable is that it would allow us to compare each variation against the original within the same experiment (as is normal).

If anyone has figured out how to accomplish this please let me know!

Case

Level 2

Josh 12-04-14

Re: Is it possible to set targeting conditions at the variation level?

Hey Case,

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do here. You generally don't want to do targeting at the variation level because you want to make sure your traffic is actually being split randomly across variants. If you do targeting specifically for one variation you could bias your sampling.

Without relaly understanding - I would recommend editing the content in variation B using a separate experiment that is running on that page at "100%", but using a unique parameter to make it only fire for this specific test.

tell the team I said hi Smiley Wink

Josh
Level 2