Rich-text Reply

Is it possible to track the time a user spent on a page?

jerrys 11-26-14
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to track the time a user spent on a page?

Hi

I'm planning some tests anb I was thinking if there is a way to track the time the user spends in each page (original and variation)

The reason for that is that I'm planning some tests on ads and I would like to know if the changes on ads may  reduce the user engagement and time reading the article.

Thanks

Level 2

Joel_Balmer 11-26-14

Re: Is it possible to track the time a user spent on a page?

This is actually currently a feature request for our product, so this is something we are considering. If you would like to gain more traction with an idea, you can search our customer product ideas on our page, here. If this does not exist yet, feel free to post this new idea submit this from our community page here: We pride ourselves in doing our best to implement features that our customers champion - the more votes the better!

In the meantime, what exactly are you looking to measure - active time spent (engaging) with the page, or time spent in session? 

There may be some other interesting tools our there, such as Chartbeat.

Amanda 11-26-14

[ Edited ]

Hey @jerrys - Here is a Product Idea that actually already exists to track time on page. Please up-vote this idea so our Product team is aware of the need across many customers. 

Also, check out the integrations available here. You can easily see the time on page within your analytics platform of choice with a simple integration, for example GA will give you this information and you'll be able to break it down into variations. 

Let us know if you have any questions! Thanks

Optimizely
jerrys 11-26-14

Thank you guys. I'll deferentially check on that.

I used Optimizely on my previous position but I changed jobs recently and now 50% of my job is related to this amazing tool. First of all thank you for all the effort you put making this tool great!

Amanda, you mention that I can track time on page on Analytics. That's fine, but how can I track time only from the users who actually participate in the test. For example. In a page I have a traffic of 500 thousand users a day. I'm testing only 1% of that traffic per day for 10 days (50.000) users. Is there a way to track the time that the traffic allocated to my test (original and variation) spent on each page .

The reason for that is that I would like to test if the changes in ads placement might reduce the time the user spend reading the page or increase the bounce rate.

Thank you guys.
Level 2
Amanda 11-26-14

@jerrys - with the GA integration, the Optimizely experiment information is sent to a custom variable. So, when you are viewing this custom variable you are *only* seeing the traffic from your experiment, and the data is broken down by variation. In your example, this custom var would only show the data for the 1% (50,000 users). 

The support article I linked above shows you how to create custom reports or view your data depending on whether you use UA or GA.

Does that help?

Also, congratulations on the new job! Are you at a new company as well or just a new position? Looking forward to seeing you in the community more now that you're spending more time with Optimizely. 

Optimizely
jerrys 11-26-14

[ Edited ]

Thank you Amanda. You are awesome guys. Problem solved.

I was using the custom variable only to track the goals. Thank you for the heads up

I'm at a new company. I was working as a SEO Producer in SF but now I moved to a Digital Analyst role in Sydney.

You'll definetely see me around the community quite often.

Thanks!

Level 2