Rich-text Reply

LOADING PAGES THAT REQUIRE A LOGIN: Attempted troubleshooting

OliviaL 10-16-14
Accepted Solution

LOADING PAGES THAT REQUIRE A LOGIN: Attempted troubleshooting

Hello Optiverse,

I'm looking to set up a couple of tests in our employees Lithium Community area which is private and only accessible via Login. 

I completed the troubleshooting steps listed here  by opening a tab in the same browser, logging in and then opening an additional tab for Optimizely but for some reason Optimizely cannot get past the login page.

Any help and ideas to troubleshoot this further would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Olivia

Level 2

Leanne 10-16-14

Re: LOADING PAGES THAT REQUIRE A LOGIN: Attempted troubleshooting

Can you confirm that you have the Optimizely snippet successfully implemented on the page you are trying to load into the editor? Since it sounds like you are following the right steps by logging in an an adjacent tab, my suspicion is that it's a snippet issue. 

Let us know about the snippet and we can suggest more troubleshooting tips

Level 2
OliviaL 10-24-14

Thanks for your reply - I will check the snippet is added correctly and report back. Appreciate the help!

Level 2
OliviaL 04-29-15

Sorry for the late confirmation but wanted to come back and confirm that indeed the snippet hadn't been added at the time I expected it to be deployed.

Thanks for the prompt help.
Level 2
Step 05-05-15

I have been trying the troubleshoot steps as per Olivia listed out as well as verifying I have the snippet implemented on my pages.  

However, I still get some troubles when loading the test page with password protect in Optimizely.

I managed to create the experiement / edit the experiment by open up in an adjacent tab, however, it only works at the first few times, when I come back and tried to edit the experiement I created, it cannot pass the login page, even I tried to refresh the page in another tab/ re-open and login again.

Is there any tricks I have to follow?  

Furthermore, I have never get it worked (by pass login) when previewing the page in Optimizely...

Thanks! 

Level 2
Amanda 05-05-15

Hi @Step - To load the page into the editor, the browser needs to have the session specific information. So, if you cannot open the logged in version of the page in a new tab when visiting the URL, then Optimizely will not be able to load that version of the page either. You likely will need to open the page in an adjacent tab, login, and then open your Optimizely experiment each time to ensure the logged in version is loaded. Here is a KB article that explains the steps for this: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/204603007-Load-a-gated-page-that-requires-a-login-or-s...

However, if you are already taking these steps and it's still not working, there could be something else going on. 

• Make sure you page is not being loaded in compatibility mode
  • Can you post the URL you are trying to load and I can take a look at it for you? 
Optimizely
Step 05-06-15

[ Edited ]

Hi @Amanda,

Thanks for your reply.

I have made some trials again, here're the steps of what I have done:
1. Open my page in the browser, login,
2. Then open another tab on the same browser to load Optimizely
3. Select my experiment then click "Editor" or "Preview".

I managed to view the logged in page in Firefox after clicking the "Editor" button, but not the Preview button. However, on Chrome, I wouldn't able to see the logged in page when clicking either Editor or Preview button.

The URL of the page will send to you as private message.

Thanks!

Level 2
Ehsan 05-07-15

Hi @Step,

Amanda sent me the URL that you were testing and asked me to follow up with you.  It looks like the Optimizely snippet is not installed on the sign-in page, and is installed (but commented out) on the /agents URL that you are testing.

If you remove the "<!--" and "-->" tags that currenlty surround the Optimizely snippet on the /agents URL and install the snippet the same way on the sign-in page, you should be able to successfully load both URLs into the Editor and Preview.

I hope that helps!  Please let me know if you still experience editor loading issues after making the recommend changes.

Best,
Ehsan

Optimizely
Step 05-07-15

Hi @Ehsan

Thanks for your reply - I have just commented this morning as I was trying out some other stuff.

I have un-commented the script now and I am still having the loading issues.

Thanks!

Level 2
Step 05-07-15

Hi @Ehsan

Just to give you more infomation on the issues, I did a video screen capture on what happened at my end.  The link of the videos captures are sent to you as private message.

I have made 2 attempts, details as below:

Attempt 1:

1- Login to my password protected pages in Axure share

2- Login to Optimizely, click my experiment and click "Editor" -> Loaded successfully

3- Closed the Editor tab, click the "Editor" button again -> Loaded successfully

4- Clicked "Preview" button -> Unable to load the logged in area

5- Closed the Preview tab, click "Editor" button again -> Unable to load the logged in area

Attempt 2:

1- Login to my password protected pages

2- Login to Optimizely, click my experiment and click "Editor" -> Unable to load the logged in area

As you can see, everytime when I open the Editor, I have clicked "Load unsafe script" in Chrome and reload the page.

I'm not sure if I did anything incorrectly, as attempt 2 is pretty much same as attempt 1, but I cannot load the page successfully.

Meanwhile, just wanted to check is Preview function doesn't work for password protected pages?

Thank you!

Level 2
Mario 05-07-15

Hi @Step,

For some reason the homepage preview button is not working properly. We are having a deeper investigation on that. Please use instead the preview button on the experiment (visual editor) page -  just click on the variation tab and select Preview from the context menu. 

All the best,

Mario

Sr. Technical Support Engineer
EMEA | Amsterdam
Optimizely
Step 05-08-15

Hi @Mario

Thanks for your reply - will take a look on that. However, I don't really manage view the password protected page in the Editor, it just works randomly for me.. Sometimes I can see it, some times I can't... 

Wondering if you guys have any ideas on that?

Thanks! 

Level 2
Ehsan 05-08-15

Hi @Step

Thank you for the videos!  The 4 steps I would suggest are:

1.  Always start with a fresh incognito browser

2.  Based on Mario's discovery, only use the Preview Mode inside the Editor (we have alerted Engeering)

3.  If you get the sign in screen, refresh the live login page

4.  Paste the live URL in Editor Settings again (instead of reloading the Editor)

In my experience, following these steps has tended to help.  Having said that, I did not follow any of those steps and did not experience a page loading issue, except for when using Preview mode from the Home Page.

Could you try turning off all of your Chrome extensions and see if you still experience the issue?

Optimizely
Step 05-11-15

Hi @Ehsan,

Thanks for the suggested steps - it works now.

I have disallowed all extension to run in incognito browser, occationaly I still experience the issues, and that could be resolved by the suggested steps.  Thanks again! 

Level 2