Rich-text Reply

Mobile version of page not loading in experiment edit mode

houseofe 03-14-16

Mobile version of page not loading in experiment edit mode

Hi,

I've created an experiment, but since the mobile layout is somewhat wrong, I wanted to specifically edit the layout for mobile via Editor Settings > Load mobile version of pages > Select e.g. "iPhone".

However, I'm always getting back an error that the page isn't loadable while the desktop version loads up normally.

If anyone could point me into the right direction that'd be great.

Thanks!

Level 2

robertchan 03-14-16

Re: Mobile version of page not loading in experiment edit mode

Have you checked that your meta tag for viewport is set appropriately?

Example:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, user-scalable=no, initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=1, maximum-scale=1"/>

That, or perhaps you have a different (or no) Optimizely snippet implemented for the mobile version of your site.
Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero

I'm experiencing this exact same issue on one of my company's sites.  Regarding your initial response above, I've doublechecked that our site has the appropriate meta viewport info in the head.

What else could be causing this?  Links in the Editor settings do validate and load just fine in the normal editor view, however trying to load the mobile version in the editor, with any of the supported items in the dropdown, just doesn't work.

JasonDahlin 04-06-16

I highly recommend having a developer write the JavaScript for you instead of using the editor.
The editor is great, when it works, but there are some things that it doesn't handle well.

Like, if you want to modify the "last" item in a set of things and your page happens to currently have 3 items in that set, it will create code that changes the 3rd item, which happens to be the last item. but when you page changes to have 4 items, the experiment is still modifying the 3rd item! This is not much of an issue for stagnant sites, but is something to keep in mind.
--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero