Rich-text Reply

Multi page experiment for one variation only

shirley 07-03-14
Accepted Solution

Multi page experiment for one variation only

[ Edited ]

I am researching an experiment we are discussing doing for near future.

It would involve testing one variation that extends to an additional thank you page and tracking a click there.

However, the other 2 variations will not involve this additional page.

I went into the editor and can see where I add a page to an experiment but it appears to be for the entire experiment. Is it possible to only involve the thank you page goal for one variation only?

Level 2

MartijnSch 07-04-14

Re: Multi page experiment for one variation only

Hi Shirley,

How about you redirect the other 2 variations of the test so they won't have to deal with the additional page?
adzeds 07-04-14

Think I have my head around what you are looking to achieve.

If I am right then you need to make sure you set up your goal tracking correctly to look for the click on the thank you page.

You can then leave 2 variations doing what they normally do then tweak one so that it forwards people to the thank you page and monitor the conversions on that page.

You might find some interesting information in here that may help:

https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039905-Tracking-click-goals
David Shaw
Level 11
shirley 07-08-14

[ Edited ]

So I should not add the thank you page within the experiment...as a multi page?

The thing is, I need to add a link to the thank you page. That is what will need to be tracked. Not just going to the page.
 Although it would be nice to know how many go there without clicking vs those who do open the link.

The other 2 variations would not contain the link, just keep the page same as original. I had thought I could add the page to just one variation.

Level 2
adzeds 07-08-14

I think that everything you are looking to achieve can be done with the 'Set-up Goals' section.

You can define the pages to monitor for goals when setting up the conversion goal, so you can simply ask it to monitor your thank you page for conversions?

David Shaw
Level 11
shirley 07-08-14

What I am confused about is how I make an edit to the thank you page for one variation (adding the new copy with the link), but keep it without the edit for the other 2 variations.

Level 2
adzeds 07-08-14

Can you not create a new page in your site with a separate URL and divert one of the variation to that new URL?
David Shaw
Level 11
shirley 07-08-14

It is not our site, it is a client. We do not have access hence we are testing in Optimizely. The snippet is placed and that was a task in itself.
Level 2
Amanda 07-09-14

@shirley  - Sounds like a multi-page experiement will do the trick. The user will stay in the same variation throughout his/her duration in the experiment. So, if the user sees variation 1 on the first page, the user will also see variation 1 of the thank you page. 

Page 1: Original, Variation 1, Variation 2. 

Page 2: This would be your thank you page. For each variation of the thank you page, you can add a link or leave it as is. 

Does this help clear things up?

Optimizely
shirley 07-09-14

Well the reason I first posted was that it looked to be the "add a page" only applied to the entire experiment, not an individual variation. The tab is beside the experiment and doesn't appear to be attached to any particular variation. How do I specify which variation gets each additional page?

Level 2
igerber 07-09-14

Shirley, it sounds like you should indeed use the multi page test.

However, for the two variations (and the original of course) that leave the second page unchanged, simply make no changes to it in Optimizely.
Level 2