Rich-text Reply

Optimizely Automatically Selecting Every Element

halfstepdown88 01-21-15

Optimizely Automatically Selecting Every Element

I set up an A/B test that redirects to a different page to test the difference between two sales pages of mine.

On the second one that I open up, ALL the elements on the page are selected and I cannot deselect them.

Not only are the add to cart buttons all selected, but all the pictures and other elements.

Clicking on them doesn't deselect them.

Anyone have any advice on this?  If someone clicks on an image then it would count as a click to the "Add to Cart Button."

greg 01-22-15

Re: Optimizely Automatically Selecting Every Element

Do you mean that every element is being highlighted as a tracked element? If so, what click goals (if any) do you have on the experiment, and what are their selector settings?

Level 2

I had it a click goal that I named "Add to Purchase." On the first sales page, I am able to select only the add to cart buttons.

On the second sales page, all elements, including pictures, are marked as tracked, without me selecting them and I cannot deselect them.

What do you mean by selector settings?
Brian_Abad 01-23-15

[ Edited ]

Have you had a chance to take a look into our knowledge base article covering tracking clicks on a redirected page? If not, you can find that here: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200040675-Redirect-experiments-Test-separate-URLs-#cli...

There are a few additional steps to take for redirect experiments in order to properly track clicks across both the original and variation.

A selector is the text that uniquely identifies elements on a webpage. This selector is how Optimizely knows which elements on the webpage to bind a click goal to. You can find this setting by editing your goal and selecting Advanced --> Selector. More on this concept here: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039905-Click-goals#custom_selector. 

Let us know how we can be of more help!

---
Brian Abad
Manager, Technical Support
Customer Success
Optimizely

Hi Brian,

That's the article I used to setup the original test.

On one page, the selector was fine. I was able to select the elements I wanted.

On the other page I redirect to, the selector automatically selects all elements and there isn't anything I can do.

I don't know jQuery, so wouldn't know how to change those other settings. Might be out of luck on this one.

This is what it shoes for my selector settings: a > img,#links > div > p:eq(1) > a:eq(0),.tve_btn3 > .tve_btnLink,.tve_btn7 > .tve_btnLink,.tve_btn8 > .tve_btnLink