Rich-text Reply

Optimizely Direct Traffic Segment vs Google Analytics Direct Traffic

KerriA 10-05-16

Optimizely Direct Traffic Segment vs Google Analytics Direct Traffic

Hi, I'm running a test that excludes direct traffic and am experiencing a discrepancy between Optimizely's reporting and GA's. In Optimizely's reporting, there is little to no direct traffic showing in the 'non-direct' test. But GA is showing little to no direct traffic until several days into the test when it shoots up and remains consistent. I'm really scratching my head over this one. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Kerri
Level 2

inigam 10-06-16

Re: Optimizely Direct Traffic Segment vs Google Analytics Direct Traffic

[ Edited ]

Hey

Have you considered scenario when a user will have multiple interactions, repeat sessions i.e. a user lands on your site from direct, then next day using a referrer, then another time probably using an email link?

GA will count these as three session and if you do it by users who were "non-direct" or "direct", this type of repeat visit users will also be counted in GA for both, but Optimizely would have bucketed your users, the first time they land as "direct" or "non-direct" (whatever you have put in audience condition).

If you are using integration then in GA try segmenting it with "New users" AND "direct", you might find/learn more about such users.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Regards,
IN

Level 6
KerriA 10-13-16

Re: Optimizely Direct Traffic Segment vs Google Analytics Direct Traffic

It turns out this was an internal issue and not related to GA or Optimizely. I appreciate the response though!
Level 2