Rich-text Reply

Optimizely X Custom Code & Variations Disappearing

jgiordano 01-23-17
Accepted Solution

Optimizely X Custom Code & Variations Disappearing

Hello!

I've been creating a fairly large test using Optimizely X after having used Classic for quite some time. I've recently run into an issue where an entire variation vanished over the weekend and all of the custom code for another disappeared too. I know all of the code and variations were saved and present Friday afternoon as I was able to preview them several times using the Preview Tool. Now, Monday morning, essentially 2 days of work seems to have simply never happened.

This time I was using the web implementation of Optimizely X but have unfortunately encountered this using the Desktop App (Beta) too.

Is there potentially a way to restore an experiment to a previous state? I'd love to avoid having to redo all of that work if possible.

— Jacob

Jason-GSell 01-23-17

Re: Optimizely X Custom Code & Variations Disappearing

Hi Jacob,

I'm sorry this is happening! Unfortunately there's no way a user can restore an experiment to a previous state. Can you please create a ticket with our Technical Support Engineering team, and let them know the experiment ID's of the experiments you're working on? You can find the experiment ID by opening the experiment in Optimizely and looking at the URL for a 10-digit number following /experiments/xxxxxxxxxx. They'll be able to provide more detail.
If this solved your question, please accept it as a solution!
Optimizely
Jason-GSell 01-23-17

You can create a ticket at optimizely.com/support
If this solved your question, please accept it as a solution!
Optimizely
jgiordano 01-23-17

Hi Jason,

Will do. Thanks very much!
RyanC 01-26-17

This has happened to me as well last month. I had opened a ticket and was told the issue has been resolved, but JGiordano is confirming otherwise. Can someone in Optimizely please look into this?
Ryan
------------------------------------------------
The best solution is the simplest.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryan-camilleri
http://midnightknights.com
Experimentation Hero
jgiordano 01-27-17

After several rounds of correspondance with Optimizely Support I was able to determine the issue seemed tied to using Google Chrome's "Reopen Closed Tab" feature. I was using this to open a recently closed Optimizely tab or restore a window's previous state. If I used this, I was seeing one thing in the editor (deletions, additions, changes in custom code) but when I used an Incognito window or opened a new window I would see something else.

The advice I received was to avoid using this feature in Chrome which seems logical based on the evidence. In addition, they also advised against using any ad blocker extensions as well as ensuring that jQuery is defined either in the variation or within the experiment Javascript as these two things could affect how the Preview Tool works.

At the time of this writing, there haven't been enough reports of this happening to warrant a fix by the Optimizely engineering team. All of that said, the support I received was timely, friendly, and helpful.