Rich-text Reply

Optimizely x CrazyEgg x GTM

lb 11-17-14

Optimizely x CrazyEgg x GTM

[ Edited ]

I have Optimizely integrated with CrazyEgg via the API configuration, as outlined here. The 'disable force variation' option is not-checked in the Project Code Settings.

When I create a new experiment and enable heat map integration via Optimizely, the two different variants show up inside of CrazyEgg's dashboard as expected. However, data never begins collecting. When I use the CrazyEgg "Installation Check" to verify everything is setup correctly, I see the following error : http://i.imgur.com/aM3D0cH.png

Specifically: 

• Snapshot name matches code on page? No. The snapshot's name is Optimizely <snip>...</snip> (Short vs Long Headline): Original, but there is no CE_SNAPSHOT_NAME defined on that page.

All tags are integrated through the Google Tag Manager (GTM) after the first body tag (as required by GTM). In the following order (largest number fires first):

• JQuery: Priority 2000, Conditions {{url}} matches RegEx .*
  • Optimizely: Priority 1000, Conditions {{url}} matches RegEx .*
  • Analytics: Priority 500, Conditions {{url}} matches RegEx .* AND {{event}} equals optimizely_loaded
  • Crazyegg: Priority 1, Conditions {{event}} equals gtm.dom

Please advise why the CE_SNAPSHOT_NAME is likely not being defined on the pages.

lb
Level 1

Junan 11-18-14

Re: Optimizely x CrazyEgg x GTM

@lb Thanks for the great detail in your question. I know this is a basic question but wanted to double-check...can you confirm that the Optimizely snippet is implemented on the page that you're targeting and that you can get included in the experiment?

You can check this by looking for the Optimizely snippet within "View Source" or by opening the browser console and typing "optimizely" to see if the object has been defined. Let me know if you're seeing Optimizely defined and we can go from there. Thanks!!
Junan Pang
Optimizely
lb 11-18-14

Re: Optimizely x CrazyEgg x GTM

Hi Junan,

Thanks for the quick response. SInce everything is integrated via GTM, viewing source on the page won't show any of the scripts. The only script on the page is:

<!-- Google Tag Manager -->
<noscript><iframe src="//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-KH9WPS"
height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden"></iframe></noscript>
<script>(function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start':
new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],
j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src='//www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f);
})(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-KH9WPS');</script>
<!-- End Google Tag Manager -->

However, I can confirm that Optimizely is tracking the two variants perfectly inside of the respective experiment. Clicks/conversions/etc are all showing data.

lb
Level 1