Rich-text Reply

Optimzely only reports to Google Analytics when the force-parameter is used.

klarna 01-28-15

Optimzely only reports to Google Analytics when the force-parameter is used.

Hi, I've been following the Google Analytics integration guide and I'm experiencing the following issue:

GA includes the optimizely data in its reports _only_ when "&optimizely_x2388260058=1&optimizely_force_tracking=true" is used.

When I see the variation without the force-parameter, GA still reports but it doesn't include any optimizely data.

Could this ring a bell to anyone?

Thanks,

Almog.

Level 2

greg 01-29-15

Re: Optimzely only reports to Google Analytics when the force-parameter is used.

The force_tracking parameter only makes any difference when you're forcing some variation using parameters.

When you say "I see the variation without the force-parameter," are you still using parameters to see the specific?

If not -- that is, you're seeing the variation because you were bucketed into it, not because you're using parameters -- then question I have is: Does this happen only for you, or for all visitors who are in the variation?

Level 2
klarna 01-29-15

Re: Optimzely only reports to Google Analytics when the force-parameter is used.

Hi Grigorly, "I see the variation without the force-parameter", I mean that I am bucketed into the variation, which is just right, what isn't right is that when I'm bucketed into the experiment (and not using any special parameter), no reports are sent to GA.

We've had few hundreds of users exposed to this experiment, but the only records on GA custom dimension are related to the few times that I've used the force+report parameter.
Level 2
greg 01-29-15

I'm not sure what could be the problem, but the next thing I'd do is find out if the problem is with Optimizely or with Google Analytics. You can do this by installing the Google Analytics Debugger for Chrome and running it on your page with the experiment, with the Javascript console open (Ctrl + Shift + J in Chrome for Windows).

What you should see in the console is the dimension value being set, then sent to GA. If you are not seeing this, then the problem is on Optimizely's side. If it is being sent, then the problem is on the GA side.

If it's on Optimizely's side, there's another thing I can think of that could be messing this up: Do you have the privacy setting "Mask descriptive names in project code and third-party integrations" turned ON, by any chance? You can check in the Settings tab of your dashboard.

Level 2
klarna 01-29-15

Thanks, I am using the GA Debugger for Chrome (when I mentioned that I inspect the network traffic I used both the GA debugger and Chrome's network tab), and there as well I see that the dimension is only being sent when the force+report parameters are used (though I only tested it on my machine).

I was hoping that the private-data-masking option was in fact turned on, but it wasn't :/
Perhaps there's an option to load a non-minimized version of the optimizely snippet so that I can try to debug it?
Level 2
Brian_Abad 01-29-15

Thanks for the question!

Without the force variation query parameter, can you check whether the order of execution for the code is as follows:

Optimizely snippet --> GA tracking code --> Optimizely API call --> GA pageview call

One thing I believe may be happening is that the force variation query parameter disregards targeting conditions and runs the experiment on the page. Without the query parameter, Audience conditions and URL Targeting are evaluated, and within this scenario the user is actually not bucketed into the experiment.

That said, I would check for a running experiment as well without the force variation query parameter, which you can check by following instructions detailed within our knowledge base: https://learn.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/201943813#audiences_goals.

Let me know if this helps!
---
Brian Abad
Manager, Technical Support
Customer Success
Optimizely