Rich-text Reply

Persistent Display of Variant X to Return Visitors

jamiepmg 04-08-16

Persistent Display of Variant X to Return Visitors

I'm testing a portion of traffic diverted from a legacy web site to a new microsite. I want to redirect new visitors who've never seen the legacy site to our new microsite. When these first time visitors who saw the microsite return (either to the legacy site, which shows up in search results, or to our microsite, which they might bookmark), I'd like them to see the microsite. I'm planning to use the New Visitors segment to divert traffic from a page on the legacy site to the microsite. I'm expecting that a new visitor who saw the microsite and then returns will not be directed to the microsite on that second visit because they're now a RETURN visitor. We also want to ensure that visitors who are already familiar with the LEGACY site continue to see the legacy and NOT the microsite. Is there a simple way to push the display of a variant to visitors who've already engaged with that content? 

Level 2

AllisonR 04-11-16

Re: Persistent Display of Variant X to Return Visitors

Hi there,

This can be accomplished using the new or returning visitor audience. This condition targets experiments towards new or returning visitors to a page where your Optimizely snippet is implemented. So as long as the Optimizely snippet is implemented on your legacy site, a new visitor who should be shown the microsite can be identified using this audience. That visitor will be considered "new" for the remainder of their session (until they close their browser tab). When they return they will no longer be considered a new visitor. More information about this audience condition is here

To set this up I recommend creating a redirect experiment targeted only to new visitors with 100% of traffic allocated to the variation (the new microsite). All returning visitors will be excluded from the experiment and therefore shown the legacy site. Hope this helps!

Best,

Allison
Sr. Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely | EMEA

Allison
Sr. Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely | EMEA
Optimizely