Rich-text Reply

Personalized landing pages - adwords tracking templates

AndrewSColab 03-27-17

Personalized landing pages - adwords tracking templates

Can you personalize landing pages at the campaign level using the tracking template in Adwords?  I want to do exactly what is laid out in this article, but we use auto tagging instead of manual tracking with UTMs, and I know Optimizely can't decipher Google's tracking language to know which campaign a user is coming from using auto tagging. So rather than creating UTMs for hundreds of ads, is it possible to customize a landing page based on the tracking template?

For example, I created a tracking template for a campaign titled "Summer" - so the tracking template will look like this: http://www.mysite.com?campaign=957334729

So anyone who clicks on an ad for that campaign will see a landing page customized for that campaign - i.e. "Get the best 'Summer' travel gear!"

Hopefully I'm explaining myself alright here. Thanks for the help!

tom-hanlon 03-28-17

Re: Personalized landing pages - adwords tracking templates

Hey Andrew,

You should be able to target an experience toward any query string you'd like. So, in your example, creating an experiment and targeting it to a URL substring match of ?campaign=957334729 should allow you to alter your content through a running Optimizely experiment.

Does that help?

Tom
__
Optimizing Sales/Growth for eCommerce Clients through Multivariate & A/B Testing, Personalization & Analytics

Connect with me on Linkedin

Experimentation Hero

Re: Personalized landing pages - adwords tracking templates

Hey Tom,

That definitely helps, thank you!