Rich-text Reply

Preview and Editor Displaying Differently

jamesapearson 01-13-16
Accepted Solution

Preview and Editor Displaying Differently

I'm running an A/A and an A/B simultaneously on the same page.

In the Editor, the A/A variation shows no changes from the current page. But on the Preview page, the A/A variation shows the same changes I made for the A/B test. And the Results of the two tests look really similar—which leads me to believe the A/A test is picking up the changes of the A/B test.

Is it possible to run an A/A and A/B test simultaneously without the A/A picking up changes?

JDahlinANF 01-13-16

Re: Preview and Editor Displaying Differently

Your editor should be showing  you exactly what the page looks like for you, in that browser.  If you are in the B variation of experiment #1 then the preview will have your B variation applied to it.

If you want your preview to show truely original content only, you could try adding a URL parameter to your editor's URL:

optimizely_disable=true

That way the editor shows you what the page looks like when Optimizely is disabled.  Not sure if that screws with the editor's ability to function though.

If that causes issues, get yourself placed into the control group for the other experiment then go to the editor and you should be OK.

JDahlinANF 01-13-16

[ Edited ]

In my previous answer, I addressed issues with how the page appears in the preview of your experiment builder. If your question is for whether the experiments can be mutually exclusive... not without some special work.  If you have 2 experiments running on the same page (with the same audience), then both experiments will be applied to the page.

If you want these to be mutually exclusive, you need to either build them as separate variations of the same experiment or create mutually exclusive Custom Audiences. For example, if you have one experiment running and you want the second experiment to target only people not already in the first experiment, you could create a Custom Audience where the optimizelyBuckets cookie contains the first experiment's id and apply this to the first experiment. Then create an audience where the optimizelyBuckets cookie does *not* contain the first experiment's id and use this audience for the second experiment.

David_Orr 01-13-16

NAP0LEON: thank you for your replies! 

jamesapearson: Here is a link to our mutually exclusive custom javascript condition that will allow you to prevent visitors from being bucketed into the A/A and A/B tests:

https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200040205-Simultaneous-testing-and-mutually-exclusive-...

Senior Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely
JDahlinANF 01-14-16

@David_Orr - Nice!  Didn't realize you had a built in method for this.