Rich-text Reply

(Problem) Optimizely integration with Google Tag Manger and Google Analytics

jonathanfc 02-29-16

(Problem) Optimizely integration with Google Tag Manger and Google Analytics

Hi there, 

I have some many questions integrating Optimizely with Google Tag Manager. In fact I followed the steps you created in this guide https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/203189220-Implementing-Optimizely-with-Google-Tag-Mana... particularly the section which you recommend creating a custom JS piece of code and addede the optimizely snippet afeter the <head> tag.

This is the page I want to run experiments on: https://www.agroptima.com/gestiona-tu-explotacion/

Therefore, my questions are:

- How can I verify that everythiing is tracking correcty? Do I need to publish the experiments in order to verify that everything is correctly set up?

- I've created a custom dimension within Google Analytics in order to compare the treatment and the control for a given experiment on that page. Am I going to see the performance of the control and the treatment if I only have one custom dimension? or do  I need to create two different custom dimensions to track the control and the treatment?

robertchan 02-29-16

Re: (Problem) Optimizely integration with Google Tag Manger and Google Analytics

- You can verify everything by adding a force variation and force tracking parameter to the end of the URL(s) you're testing. For example, if you're planning to run a test on google.com, it would be something like google.com/?optimizely_xYOURVARIATIONID=VARIANTNUMBER&optimizely_force_tracking=true

After you've appended those parameters, open your console in Google Chrome (cmd + opt + i on Mac), and go to your network tab. Filter results by XHR and type in event? - as you click on elements you track or on the page, you should see new items populate in your network tab indicating that they are working. You can verify this by clicking on an individual event and checking the n value for what exactly's being tracked.

- Yes, you can see the performance of the control and the treatment in one custom dimension, it just depends how you set up your custom report and what filters you set.
Robert Chan

jonathanfc 03-08-16

Re: (Problem) Optimizely integration with Google Tag Manger and Google Analytics

Thanks Robert for your help Smiley Happy

robertchan 03-08-16

Anytime!
Robert Chan