Rich-text Reply

Putting snippet on pages with Query Parameters

Opti-Ali 01-22-16

Putting snippet on pages with Query Parameters

Hi Guys,

I want to do a redirect users from example.com/old to example.com/new

Currently I have only put the Optimizely code on example.com/old and example.com/new, however as I am targetting users who come through a query parameter (example.com/old?utm_medium=cpc_search&utm_content=Brand) do I need to put the optimizely snippet across ALL urls?

At present, the 'inspect console function' shows Optimizely detected on 'example.com/old', but not for 'example.com/old?utm_medium=cpc_search&utm_content=Brand'.

My audience conditions are set to 'visitor matches utm_content contains brand', so I do not think it is a problem with my audience settings.

The test also failed when I altered URL targeting to 'utm_medium=cpc_search&utm_content=Brand' as a substring match instead of a simple match.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Level 1

Re: Putting snippet on pages with Query Parameters

[ Edited ]

I find quite strange the fact that you don't find the optimizely snippet on example.com/old?utm_medium=cpc_search&utm_content=Brand.

Everything past the "?" are just url parameters and should not affect the snippet. I'm running most of my experiments on URLS with query parameters and the experiments (including re-directs) are running smoothly.

Just to be on the safe side, I just checked my console on a page.com (it has the Optimizely snippet) and page.com?utm_term=whatever and the console return correct values when I type Optimizely.

Performance Marketing Manager @ Blacklane
Founder @ Stereofox