Rich-text Reply

Question re: tracking which page a user has been sent from

kennet 02-08-16

Question re: tracking which page a user has been sent from

[ Edited ]

I'd like to run a test that has the following flow:

Version A has a CTA that sends visitors to Form 1.
Version B has a CTA that also sends visitors to Form 1.

I'd like to track which version's CTA is clicked more (easy enough and already set up), as well as track the form for submits. The problem I'm running into is not knowing how to differentiate which page version sent users to the form. I realize this is essentially trying to do two things at once, but can this be done in a single test? I'm a little lost in the setup.

[edit] I think I might have answered this myself by switching the experiment type to multipage(funnel) and serving identical versions of the form as page 2. I would love confirmation from somebody a bit more knowledgeable though.

Level 1

Re: Question re: tracking which page a user has been sent from

[ Edited ]

Hi Kennet,

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think you can set a click goal to be running on another page besides the one on your experiment (as long as you have the Optimizely snipet on that form page).

In click goal's advanced setting you have the option to specify custom pages on which to track that goal - preview.

Therefore, set the clickgoal based on a selector of the form submit button and set that goal within your experiment. In my opinion, that should do the job, but also curious to get feedback on this.

best,
Ivo

Performance Marketing Manager @ Blacklane
Founder @ Stereofox

JDahlinANF 02-09-16

Re: Question re: tracking which page a user has been sent from

You should be able to get this using only goals.  

Experiment     CTA Clicks  Form1Page  Form1Submits  ThankYouPage

Variation 1    W           X          Y             Z

Variation 2    W           X          Y             Z

Hopefully "CTA Clicks" and "Form1Page" match as do "Form1Submits" and "ThankYouPage"

However, if your site has multiple ways to perform a Form1Submit that are outside of this funnel,  then creating a duplicate page for Form1 is definitely an excellent way to go.