Rich-text Reply

Redirect Test: Skipping Pages?

moviepass 06-16-15
Accepted Solution

Redirect Test: Skipping Pages?

Hi, I'm trying to test if removing two steps/pages improves conversion, which is in effect testing not just two pages (Page A vs. Page B) but two "flows" (Flow A vs. Flow B).  All I've found is info on URL Redirect but it doesn't seem to cover my requirements.  I need help! 

Here's the structure of what I'm trying to do:

Current Flow:

Page 1: Landing Page with a query form > Page 2: Query Results and "Next" > Page 3: Create Account > Page 4: Address Info > Page 5: Payment Info > Page 6: Thank You Page.

Test Flow would simply skip Page 1 and 2, and dump users directly into Page 3: 

Page 3: Create Account > Page 4: Address Info > Page 5: Payment Info > Page 6: Thank You Page.

Generally fewer steps = higher conversion, yet the current flow setup DOES provide some info prior to users entering the signup flow.  I'm trying to figure out how valuable that info is (in terms of conversion changes) if it is skipped completely. 

The issue I have is that the URL Redirect Test info shows how to test two separate pages (which is applicable to this case since I want to test Page 1 vs. Page 3) but here are the issues I found:

1.- Goal Testing:  Each page is different so the "Goal" on each is different (different elements)

2.- True Goal is Overall Funnel Conversion: I'm interested in how many people actually convert depending on which flow they follow, not just page-level metrics

3.- Modified Page 3:  There is some more info I would like to ADD to Page 3 in the "Test Flow" experiment, using existing Page 3 as the template.  Not sure how to bring that into Editor so I can modify that page (instead of Page 1).

Any help/comments/tips would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks all. 

Mario 06-16-15

Re: Redirect Test: Skipping Pages?

Hi moviepass,

Thanks for reaching out to Optiverse.

Using a redirect experiment could be good solution:

• You could set up Page1 as the original and a new Page3b as the variation (redirect page).  
  • Since you are most interested in which flow is more successful, you could set up a pageview goal for Page6 (Thank You Page). The goal is accessible for both flows and it tracks the required conversion rate. 
  • If you set up click goals you can also add selectors to track additional elements (e.g. on other pages) within the goal.    
  • Having an independent Page3b also allows you to apply additional changes outside of Optimizely.

Best,

Mario

Sr. Technical Support Engineer
EMEA | Amsterdam
Optimizely
moviepass 06-16-15

Thank you Mario! One follow up question: our "Thank You" page has a user variable in the end. For example:

http://www.moviepass.com/register/confirmation/47496

The last element (47496) is the variable. So what kind of "URL Match Type" should I use for that?
Mario 06-17-15

Hi there,

You could either use a substring match or a regular expression (in case you need to specify a range of variables/pages).

I hope that helps!

Best,

Mario

Sr. Technical Support Engineer
EMEA | Amsterdam
Optimizely