Rich-text Reply

Redirect Test leveraging Audience in the Query String

epadgett 02-15-17

Redirect Test leveraging Audience in the Query String

Hello, 

Running into a weird issue that I think should be solvable but not sure the best way to go about it.  Likely needing to create a funnel around this with Pages, but thought id ask if i was missing something obvious.

We'd like to run a split URL test however, the audience being tested is triggered by a value in the url query parameter.  Part of this test is getting though a Reg wall.  The issue is, once you're though the reg wall the query parameters follow you (In cookie and URL) and we're creating a recursive situation where the user just gets dumped back to a logged in version of the same page.  We could drop them out of the audience, but my understanding if we do that, then we would lose the tracking of our registration.  

So basically we have this:

Inbound URL:  www.mysite.com/?utm_source=SiteA&utm_medium=placementA&couponcode=xyz

Page:  mysite.com

Audience:  Unknown Visitors, querystring contains "xyz"

The redirection happens fine, however, once the person registers, they get dropped on a LOGGED IN version of the same URL (which sort of drops them into the audience to test again, thus triggering the redirect to happen again).

Level 1

RyanC 02-15-17

Re: Redirect Test leveraging Audience in the Query String

Using custom code can you conditionally redirect the user depending if it's the first time they are seeing the variation?
Ryan
------------------------------------------------
The best solution is the simplest.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryan-camilleri
http://midnightknights.com
Experimentation Hero
epadgett 02-15-17

That could work I think.  We will try that out and see.

Level 1
JasonDahlin 02-15-17

You can usually detect when users are logged in by looking at their cookies.

Add a condition to your Custom Audience that requires the non-existence "logged in cookie".

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero