Rich-text Reply

Referrer based audience: is the referrer checked for the session or for each pageview?

pmelchor 02-12-15

Referrer based audience: is the referrer checked for the session or for each pageview?

Hi,

I have a test I would like to run on three pages: say URL1, URL2 and URL3.

URL1 is a category that links to URL2 and URL3 (sub-categories).

I would like to target only users for which URL1 was the landing page (e.g. the referrer URL does not belong to my domain).

If I set my experiment like that, will it also run on URL2 and URL3 when the user clicks through to them from URL1?

In other words: does Optimizely look at the referrer for the session or does it check the referrer for every single pageview in the session?

Thanks!!

Level 1

greg 02-12-15

Re: Referrer based audience: is the referrer checked for the session or for each pageview?

According to this, the referrer will be evaluated on every pageview:

"By default, audiences are not persistent. This means if you target an experiment to an audience, Optimizely will check the targeting conditions on every pageview and evaluate whether the visitor should be included. Visitors will be added if they meet the conditions and removed if they don't."

Your experiment's URL targeting should match URL1 and not URL2 or URL3.

As always, test everything before launching to make sure it behaves the way you expect.

Level 2