Rich-text Reply

Removing URL Targeting

billbauer 09-11-14

Removing URL Targeting

Hello - I'm trying to remove the URL Targeting I originally had in place on a test, but there's no way to 'X' out the last remaining targeting parameter. Blanking out the field and clicking 'Apply" doesn't work either as it's looking for a URL. Any ideas?

AdamA 09-11-14

Re: Removing URL Targeting

Hi @billbauer ,

When you first create an experiment, you'll notice that the default URL targeting isn't blank -- it's the URL that you originally loaded in the Editor, with a Simple Match condition. Do you just want Optimizely to target the page you loaded in the editor? If so, enter that URL with a Simple Match and you'll be back to the "default" settings.

The reason you can't remove URL Targeting is that Optimizely needs to know what URL(s) to run the experiment on, and which ones not to. If you let us know where you're trying to run the experiment, we can try to help figure out if there's a different setting that would be best for you!

Thanks,

Adam

Optimizely
billbauer 09-11-14

Hi Adam,
I actually want this to run on every page of the site. I'm testing a button which is available from multiple pages (via the global nav)
BB
AdamA 09-12-14

Hi Bill,

You can accomplish that in two ways:

1. You can use a substring match and enter the portion of your site's URL that the whole site has in common, like the domain or subdomain. This will target the experiment to every page where the snippet is implemented and meets the substring match. You can see the process in this article: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200040835#multiple_pages

2. You can use a Regular Expression match for *. and that will match every single page where your snippet is implemented.

As long as the global nav element is implemented on the same way sitewide, either of those targeting conditions will run the experiment. I'd recommend using substring match if you can find a match that fits.

Let me know how it goes!
Adam
Optimizely