Rich-text Reply

Run experiment immediately, but have it ALSO affect elements that come after a user action??

HeLiH 08-19-14
Accepted Solution

Run experiment immediately, but have it ALSO affect elements that come after a user action??

[ Edited ]

I'm trying to make an experiment where there are variations to the page immediately after loading, and then after the user clicks a button, other variations take effect.

Specifically, I'm trying to experiment with putting a survey on top as a header instead of as a modeless box on the bottom. This survey has an initial "rating" page, and then when the user clicks a rating, it turns into a "comments" page. The problem is that not all of the changes I apply to the initial "rating" page are carrying over to the "comments" page.

Is there a way to run changes at the beginning, and ALSO after the user clicks something, all as part of one experiment? Delaying and manual activation are not helpful, because activating everything at once is not what I need. 

Level 2

adzeds 08-20-14

Re: Run experiment immediately, but have it ALSO affect elements that come after a user action??

Think this is one for the Optimizely Techies!

I think I understand what you are trying to do but am not sure of the best implementation for it.

What is the goal that you are looking to track with this test?

David Shaw
Level 11
HeLiH 08-20-14

Re: Run experiment immediately, but have it ALSO affect elements that come after a user action??

[ Edited ]

We're trying to see if the placement of the survey is affecting how users interact with the other parts of the page. Basically, we want the survey to have a minimal impact on the user experience, while still being visible, so we'd be tracking clicks on other parts of the page.

EDIT: I've found a work-around for this particular instance, but I'd still like to know if there is a way to do something like this in general

Level 2
Amanda 08-20-14

@HeLiH - Yes you can do this within Optimizely, but I would like to clarify one thing. Are you trying to run the *same* changes when the button is clicked? Or are you hoping to reveal a brand new experiment with a different set of variations?

In either case, manual activation should work for you. 

Since it sounds like it's the same experiment you need to run at different times, you would simply set the experiment to use manual activation. Then activate the experiment on page load and activate again on click of the button. Due to cookies, the visitor would be bucketed into the same variation each time. 

Does that sound like it will do the trick for what you are hoping to acheive?  Let me know if I am missing something and I would be more than happy to provide more details! 

You can find additional information on how to use manual activation in our support article here

Optimizely
HeLiH 08-20-14

This is very helpful, thanks!
Level 2