Rich-text Reply

Running tests with user level reporting in Google analytics

Genie 02-09-17

Running tests with user level reporting in Google analytics

Hi, I'm planning to run a multi-page funnel test across the entire website (with changes in universal elements such as the navigation menu). I have integrated Optimizely with Google Analytics, and I want to track the conversion rate throughout the funnel. When I created the customized report in Google Analytics, I used user-level as my scope, because I want like to know if the user converts even if he/she leaves the site and comes back later. 

However, I wonder what happens if the user leaves the site (variation A), then comes back later to the sit (variation B) and converts. Will Google Analytics capture this conversion as part of Variation A treatment or Variation B treatment? Either wouldn't work perfectly for the purpose of the test, because the user could be impressed by Variation A and comes back later to sign up, or he/she could convert because Variation B has a much better sales funnel design.

I wonder if Optimizely display the same variation to the same user throughout the testing period. If yes, how long can Optimizely remember the user after he/she leaves the site?

Level 1

JasonDahlin 02-10-17

Re: Running tests with user level reporting in Google analytics

"However, I wonder what happens if the user leaves the site (variation A), then comes back later to the sit (variation B) and converts. " This should not happen - once a user is placed into an experiment's variation, they stay in that variation for 10 years (or until they clear their cookies in which case GA won't recognize it as the same visitor either).
--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero