Rich-text Reply

Segmented Audience Unique Visitors -- doesn't add up to All Visitors

Kristen_S 07-16-15

Segmented Audience Unique Visitors -- doesn't add up to All Visitors

[ Edited ]

I have set up two new audiences -- New Visitors, and Returning Visitors -- so that I can segment the data and compare the two.

In looking at the results, the number of unique visitors in the New Visitors audience and the number of unique visitors in the Returning Visitors audience do not add up to total the unique visitors in the All Visitors segment.

I'm wondering why there's a difference?

Once a user is bucketed into the "new" audience group, won't they remain in that group even after the session ends and they come back to the site, and are technically a "returning" user? Or would they then fall into both segments -- counting them twice?

I'm also seeing the exact same numbers for my revenue goal regardless of the audience segment I'm viewing. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

"Ease of use may be invisible, but its absence sure isn't." - IBM

Re: Segmented Audience Unique Visitors -- doesn't add up to All Visitors

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Can you share your experiment ID? I'd love to have a look.

Thanks,

Amy

Amy Herbertson
Customer Success
Kristen_S 07-20-15

Re: Segmented Audience Unique Visitors -- doesn't add up to All Visitors

[ Edited ]

Hi Amy,

The Experiment ID is 3188220502.

The experiment has been running a few days now, but you'll see that a few of the revenue spikes are identical between the new and returning audience segments. And the NEW Visitors + RETURNING Visitors audiences unique visitors numbers don't add up to equal the All Visitors segment.

Thanks for taking a look!

"Ease of use may be invisible, but its absence sure isn't." - IBM