Rich-text Reply

Setting up click goals

analarue 09-02-14

Setting up click goals

Hello,

I have a quick question of properly setting up click goal tracking on variations within an experiemnt. I am trying to track clicks on a sign up button in an original variation as well as download now via. app store button in a variation page.

i follwed the proper click goal setup as usggested via. https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039905-Click-goals

Tracking seems to be working properly for the original variation button but shows no clicks for the variation (download now via. app store button). When testing clicks in preview mode, actions seem to be tracked properly (see attached screen shot).

Is there anything we could potentially be missing?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 7.55.28 AM.png
Level 2

JohnH 09-02-14

Re: Setting up click goals

My guess is that it's a timing issue and that the new button is not available when Optimizely tries to bind the goal. You could try adding custom event code directly into the variation code logic and use a method like .live.

Is the variation button a new button created via Optimizely or does it have the same selector as the original variation?
Level 2
analarue 09-02-14

Hello,

Thanks for this info. The button is a new button created via. Optimizely and does not have the same selector as the original variation. I am thinking that this could be the main reason for the problem. 

Level 2
JohnH 09-03-14

It doesn't matter if your button is a different selector than your original as long as the goal is using the appropriate selector. My recommendation would be to try a custom event and see if that triggers the goal correctly -- this way you can confirm whether it's timing.
Level 2
Brian_Abad 09-04-14

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out with your great question in Optiverse! I'm a technical support representative over here at Optimizely and I've taken a look into your experiment to see what may be going on.

I forced myself into the variation of your experiment, clicked on the App Store icon, and it looks like the goal is correctly firing.

While the Preview tool is great for initial experiment QA, we do have a few suggested practices that may be better suited in helping determine whether your experiment has been set up correctly.

We have a great knowledge base article that details how to determine whether goals are firing correctly, which you can find - here: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862554-Your-Pre-Launch-Checklist-QA-your-experiment...

Let me know if there's anything else I can take a look into or if I misunderstood what's going on!

Thanks,
Brian
---
Brian Abad
Manager, Technical Support
Customer Success
Optimizely