Rich-text Reply

Simple question about URL targeting, goal pages, and double-counting

Noah 06-03-15
Accepted Solution

Simple question about URL targeting, goal pages, and double-counting

Hi,

This is a basic question but I'm doubting myself and need a little reassurance.

I need to run an experiment on an entire directory of pages. For example, say there are 100 pages in a folder called /landing-pages/, and I've decided to just use the substring filter to target any lead that hits a URL with /landing-pages/. My concern is that the thank-you page is also underneath that /landing-pages/ directory and I'm using the thank-you page URL as a pageview goal trigger.

So my question: Would there be any double-counting or other possible issues from having both the experiment "targeting" the same thank-you page that is also a conversion goal in itself? I don't think there would be but wanted to confirm. There isn't a way for someone to hit the TY page organically, so I'm not worried about someone basically hitting the experiment on the TY page itself and then not "converting".

Thanks!

Noah Shunfenthal
Marketing Automation & Optimization
Level 2

JDahlinANF 06-03-15

Re: Simple question about URL targeting, goal pages, and double-counting

Noah, you're fine to include the goal page inside your targeting.
If you really want to, you can exclude the thank you page using substring match, but it won't make any differece.
Noah 06-04-15

Thanks Napoleon!

Noah Shunfenthal
Level 2
Noah 06-04-15

Actually just discovered a situation where I do need to exclude the thank-you pages from the URL targeting. So what you're saying is that even though I am excluding the TY page from the experiment, the goal will still fire when someone hits the TY page? The Optimizely snippet is embedded on the page, so that would all make sense.

Thanks!
Noah Shunfenthal
Level 2
JDahlinANF 06-04-15

Glad to help!