Rich-text Reply

Targeting only users who enter through a certain page

marklewismedia8 02-17-17

Targeting only users who enter through a certain page

Hi everyone!

I've been poring through the help docs and community and can't find the answer to what I thought would be a simple problem. I'm launching an experiment for a new homepage and want to serve my variation to only people who enter the site through the homepage (.com). I had looked at building an audience around a regex expression blocking my domain and thus eliminating internal referrers but not sure if this would work. If it helps, the reason I want to do this is because we're only partially through a redesign and targeting only these users would mitigate how jarring certain user paths are currently. 

Is there a simple way to do this that I'm just overlooking? 

Thanks!

Mark

Larry 02-18-17

Re: Targeting only users who enter through a certain page

If not misunderstand maybe try custom tag?
Level 1
Jason-GSell 02-21-17

Hi @marklewismedia8, where is the experiment actually running? Is it running on the homepage, or is it running on a subsequent page in the funnel?

Thanks,

Jason

If this solved your question, please accept it as a solution!
Optimizely

H Jason!

The overall goal of the test is to compare this new homepage to our old homepage. Our primary metric is revenue per visit, which includes metrics from other pages on the site during the users' sessions. So, we're testing the efficacy of the homepage but it includes data from all pages. 

Jason-GSell 02-21-17

Got it. In that case you should be able to target the Referral URL to Does Not Include example.com on a substring match. That way the experiment will not run for anyone coming from another example.com URL. 

If that solves your question, please mark this as the solution!

Thanks,

Jason

If this solved your question, please accept it as a solution!
Optimizely