Rich-text Reply

Targeting page groups when url targeting is not possible

auke 06-24-16
Accepted Solution

Targeting page groups when url targeting is not possible

I`m about to start a new project where we want to run a test on just the category pages of the ecommerce store. Url targeting is not possible as all category pages are setup like: domain.com/category-name.

I`m looking into using this:

https://help.optimizely.com/Target_Your_Visitors/Custom_JavaScript_audience_targeting#Example:_Runni...

Is this correct?

Also one of my worries is that this will create a delay, and a flicker.

Alternatively I was thinking of doing this via tag manager, i.e. push a datalayer to with pageCategory variable and fire a tag with the necesarry javascript for optimizely. This because we're already planning on utilizing this for analytics content grouping.

Level 2

CouchPsycho 06-24-16

Re: Targeting page groups when url targeting is not possible

Hi,

First: Have you checked if it is not possible to do the url-targeting using a regular expression?

Second: The link you provided needs some kind of reference to detect if you are on a product page or not. Is something like that available? A meta-tag or any custom-js-variable? Or even some schema.org-markup?

How about providing an url? ;-)

Kind regards

Michael

"the essence of the creative act is to see the familiar as strange." (anonymous)
auke 06-24-16

Hi,
Yeah regex is not possible.
We plan on using this code which we`ll be using for GTM and content grouping in GA:

<script>
dataLayer = [{
'pageCategory': 'ProductCategory'
}];
</script>
Level 2
CouchPsycho 06-24-16

Ok, i cannot test it, but i suppose this will work:

Your audience must be defined by using a custom Javascript condition (like mentioned in your link). The condition you need, based on the little script you posted, is:

dataLayer[0]["pageCategory"] === "ProductCategory"

I hope, it works

"the essence of the creative act is to see the familiar as strange." (anonymous)
JasonDahlin 06-24-16

Can you post some examples of why regex is not possible?

We deal with some tricky URL patterns here all the time and it's rare that it is *impossible*.

(It might be very difficult and not worth the effort, but rarely "impossible")

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
auke 06-24-16

Thanks! Will test it out.
Level 2
auke 06-24-16

Because there's no pattern, all categories and subcategories are setup like: domain.com/categoryname or domain.com/subcategoryname. Same for product pages. There's about 10 categories with each about 10 sub categories.

We need to use the code I mentioned earlier anyway so it makes sense to use that.
Level 2