Rich-text Reply

Test IP address filtering?

LouisGigantic 04-01-16
Accepted Solution

Test IP address filtering?

I am doubtful if my IP address filtering is working correctly.

I see only a single visit in my experiments results, which I am pretty sure is my own visit. How can I verify if this is my own visit, or that my IP address filtering is working correctly?

My filter regex is:

^92\.111\.1\.226$|^46\.38\.210\.103$|^62\.207\.39\.225$|^84\.28\.12\.252$|^89\.99\.187\.234$|^24\.132\.74\.149$|^95\.96\.233\.135$|^143\.176\.12\.126$|^84\.107\.148\.28$|^77\.160\.210\.248$|^84\.107\.125\.104$

DavidS 04-04-16

Re: Test IP address filtering?

Hi LouisGigantic,

Thanks for reaching out!

I understand that you'd like to make sure that your IP address filtering is working correctly. 

To check that the Regex is working properly, you can use Regex checking tools such as http://regexr.com/. Just input your Regexr in the field and you should be able to test your IP addresses. 

If you'd like, I can check internally what IP adresses have currently been bucketed into your experiment. Would you mind sending me an experiment ID so i can have a look? If you don't want to share it publicly, you can pm me directly the link.

I hope that is helpful. Feel more than free to reply back with any additional questions at all.

Best,
David

Optimizely

My experiment ID is 5354444961. The IP address I'm using myself is 92.111.1.226.
DavidS 04-07-16

Hi LouisGigantic, 

I took a look at your results data and it appears that now over 100 unique visitors have been bucketed into your experiment. It seems like you are now able to see visitors into your experiment. Are you able to confirm this on your end? 

I checked the IP addresses of each of your unique visitors and none of your visitors match your regex. 

Best,

David

Optimizely

I can confirm that my experiment now has many visits, but I still don't know how I can verify that none of those visits are from my company.
If you say that it's currently the case, then that's fine for now, but is there something I can do if more IP addresses are added to the filter in the future?
DavidS 04-11-16

Hi LouisGigantic,

Thanks for getting back to me.

If these IPs are matching the regex that you sent in your first message, then they are automatically removed from your Results page. So if your regex matches your company IPs, then you can sure that they won't appear in your Results. 

If more IPs are added in the future, then you will need to adapt your regular expressions to match more IPs so that the new IPs don't appear on your Results page.

Does that answer your concerns? 

Best,
David

Optimizely

Yes, I understand that using additional IP address would require adapting the regular expression, but I still have no idea how to test it.

I simply want to be really sure the IP address filtering is working correctly, rather than just blindly assume my regex is correct.

DavidS 04-11-16

Hi LouisGigantic,

As far as I know it is not possible from within Optimizely to test that your regex is working. The best alternative to achieve what you are looking to do is to use a tool like regexr.com to make sure that your regex matches the IPs you would like to remove from the Results page. 

Let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help.

Best,

David

Optimizely

All right. Thank you for your help.