Rich-text Reply

Testing A Completely New Skinning Via A Seperate CSS File?

egurock 09-17-15

Testing A Completely New Skinning Via A Seperate CSS File?

HI - I'm hoping someone can help me here. We had a designer write completely new CSS to change the look/feel of our website. I want to test this new version vs our existing, but I can't figure out how to do it via the drag-and-drop Optimizely UI.

Has anyone done this before and can you help me figure it out too?

thanks,

Eli

Level 2

Re: Testing A Completely New Skinning Via A Seperate CSS File?

Hi Eli --

From your description, this sounds like the perfect use case for a redirect experiment.

https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200040675-Redirect-experiments-Test-separate-URLs-

Since you're making drastic visual changes, the redirect makes the most sense as it will prevent page flashing.

However, if you prefer to make these changes within the editor, you'll need to use the code editor. Please keep in mind that all code written in the code editor needs to be either jQuery or Javascript. You won't be able to paste pure CSS. However, you can rewrite your CSS as jQuery using the .css() method.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Amy Herbertson
Customer Success
egurock 09-18-15

Thank you for your help Amy, but I don't think your suggestion will solve the problem I'm having.

The Redirect Experiment seems to test two variations of a single page against each other. I'm looking to test two variations of a CSS file on the same page (or actually, throughout the whole site experience).

I tried using the code editor, but it's 10,000 lines of CSS and I can't get it to load without errors. Is there an easier way to test a full site redesign?

Level 2
MartijnSch 09-22-15

Are you able to do a redirect to a page with a parameter and based on the parameter only load the new CSS? You would have to do the heavy lifting on your side but it would probably allow you to still run a redirect experiment.
egurock 09-24-15

Would that work for a full site redesign? I'm happy to give it a try if you think it could work.
Level 2