Rich-text Reply

Testing Variations with and without Pop-ups

rawatprakash 03-11-15

Testing Variations with and without Pop-ups

[ Edited ]

Hey, has anyone implemented a test using a popup form and no popup? How can we control to show popup for 50% users and no-popup for the rest.

Example:
Test A: Homepage with popup
Test B: Homepage without popup

Kindly let me know, how it could be implemented.

Amanda 03-11-15

Re: Variation of Popup and No-Popup

Great question. You can click the "edit code" button at the bottom of the editor to insert the code needed to create your pop-up or to remove the existing popup. The code to do this depends on how your site is built and may require some help from a developer.

There are a couple great discussions in Optiverse about popups and I've linked to them below in case you find them useful: 

Let me know if you need additional information. Also, the more detail you can provide about the goals of your test and what you are trying to do specfically, the better. 

Thanks! 

Optimizely
Jago a month ago

Amanda, I've read the threads you linked in your reply, but they do no really provide any technical solutions or tips. Smiley Happy

Would you be able to share your techniques to test a website with and without popups? (In my case the popup shows up on my blog, and the CTA on the popup redirects a client to our main website from the blog). I'd like to check how if the popup influences the number of CTA clicks (redirections to our main website, there are different CTAs on the blog - popup is just one of them).

I'm not technical myself, though it would be great if you could explain a bit so I can pass it to one of my developers.

Thanks!

Jago
Level 2
JasonDahlin a month ago

Hi @Jago,

Two ways of doing this, both essentially the same, but one will be easier than the other - you DEV will need to let you know which way they prefer.  This presumes that your popup is triggered by a function call.  For this illustration, let's presume the function is "callPopup".  These examples also presume you are using Optimizely X.

1- Disable the popup and invoke it manually

step 1 - update your site so that the pop-up does not happen automatically

step 2- create an experiment where one of the variations waits for that function to be defined, then call it.  Your variation code would look like this:

utils.waitUntil(function() {
  return (typeof callPopup == "function");
});

2- Update the line that calls the popup so that it can be deactivated by a switch.

step 1- update the code so that it fires only if a switch that disables it is not set to true (this way it will still fire when the experiment is not running).

if (window.optimizelyDisablesPopup != true) {
    callPopup();
}

step 2- create an experiment where one of the variations sets that switch to false.

/* _optimizely_evaluate=force */
window.optimizelyDisablesPopup = true;
/* _optimizely_evaluate=safe */
--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero