Rich-text Reply

Testing a Paid Search Campaign

nikkig 05-10-17
Accepted Solution

Testing a Paid Search Campaign

Hello, I have read through a few audience set up and redirect articles but still am a little fuzzy on a fundamental audience question. We have hundreds and hundreds of paid search campaigns driving to hundreds of our geo pages. We'd like to divert 20% of that traffic to a test we are running on our homepage. Can we forgo changing a percentage of our paid search campaigns and use set up a redirect test to our homepage? Or can we use the source campaign audience function to change traffic going to our geo pages to our homepages. Thanks for any insight anyone may have!

Level 2

JasonDahlin 05-11-17

Re: Testing a Paid Search Campaign

I presume each user coming through the campaigns has a code that appears as a Query String parameter when they reach your site.  You could use that code (or codes) in your URL Targeting ("substring match" if all visitors from the campaign are subject to the redirect, "regular expression" if you want to target only specific pages from that campaign).  Set your "Included in experiment" to 20% (10% of total to homepage, 10% stays where they are... or 40% if you want 20% redirected to homepage).

You *could* use the Ad Campaign audience, but that is more for how to handle people who come from a campaign on, say, their 3rd or 17th page, not for only their entry page.  So if you use this as your audience, you need to be real sure that your URL Targeting *only* affects the specific URL you want to redirect, otherwise you may end up sending them back to the homepage halfway through their visit.

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy

Experimentation Hero
nikkig 05-12-17

Re: Testing a Paid Search Campaign

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Jason!
Level 2