Rich-text Reply

Tests with zero visitors

migueltic 11-26-14
Accepted Solution

Tests with zero visitors

We've been using Optimizely without problem for months. Now we've created 3 new tests and none of them is working. In the editor and preview mode the changes show OK, but in live the test changes never appear (tried in several browsers) and Optimizely is showing 0 visitors (2 days after the tests activation). 

We are using the same configuration we've used before for other tests. I've even replicated one of these new tests without changing anything from the default configuration (not even URL targeting) and still no changes appear in the selected page and 0 visitors registered.

We have other tests running from weeks ago and they seem to be working OK. We've not reached our visitors limit (we are very far away from it).

We have made 2 changes in our account recently: Downgraded to the starter plan (free) and created a new project for the blog pages of our website, but I can't imagine how those changes could be causing the problem with these new tests (they are not in the blog pages), so it should be something else that I'm missing, but I've double checked everything and I'm out of ideas...

jerrys 11-27-14

Re: Tests with zero visitors

[ Edited ]

If you downgrade your plan I think that there's a chance that you need to update your Optimizely Snippet.

I'm not sure about it, but if you are getting 0 visitors maybe it is because your snippet is not set up properly or it's changed. I would definetelly check on that. first 

Level 2
migueltic 11-27-14

Thanks jerrys, but that's not the problem, I've just checked and the snippet is the same (also, there are other tests in the same project which are working fine, so it doesn't seem like a problem at a project or account level).

Any other ideas?

jerrys 11-27-14

Another possibility is a JavaScript conflict. If you have a JavaScript specific for that page (that are not present in other pages where you are running other tests) it may be causing a conflict.

The reason why your scripts may not work when put together can be a script conflict. Any duplication in variable declaration, function name, or event-handler access in both scripts can cause one,of the scripts to become inoperative. It can be a conflict duplication in event-handler access;like the body ONLOAD event handler.

Try to remove other scripts on the page and test it again and see if it works.

Cheers
Level 2
migueltic 11-27-14

No, we don't have Javascript specific for that pages and we had in the past tests without problem in these pages. Indeed, we currently have an "old" test that affect those same pages and is running without problem. I've tried pausing that old test in case there was some kind of conflict with the new tests (they affect different sections of the page, but who knows...) and the new test is still not working.

It's a really strange situation. We've been using Optimizely without problem for more than a year (for dozens of tests) and we really don't know what's happening now.
Joel_Balmer 11-28-14

Hi there,

I wonder whether you're hosting the snippet on your site, maybe caching the snippet at all? Or are you using the usual installation (fetching from the Optimizely CDN every time)?

If you're hosting the snippet locally then your project snippet revision will not update with each change to the project (i.e. new experiment creation, experiment updates, etc).
JDahlinANF 11-28-14

Does it work if you use the Force Parmaters (e.g., optimizely_xNNNNNNNNN=1) (you may have disabled this)

Have you checked your browser's console using optimizely_log=true for any clues?

Can you share a link to the site or, even better, the URL of a page where one of the tests should be running and the ID of that experiment?  We can examine the contents of your snippet to see what it is trying to do.

migueltic 11-28-14

It was a cache issue. Thanks a lot for all your answers! Smiley Happy