Rich-text Reply

The Mystery of the Empty Totals Result Graph

cubelodyte 04-13-16
Accepted Solution

The Mystery of the Empty Totals Result Graph

If you've ever wondered why sometimes the results graph for one of your goals goes blank on you when you choose the "Totals" view, I've got an answer for you.

Fig. 1 - Uniques vs Totals (All Time)

Date Range - All Times

• In the result panel on the left, we see a goal measured against "Uniques". These are the binary ("deduped") results that indicate that a visitor triggered the event at least once. 
  • The panel on the right shows the same results displayed by "Totals". This view measures every time the goal event is triggered. 

Although the "Totals" panel shows normal conversion and improvement numbers, there is nothing visible on the graph for any of the variations. 

Note:

Circled on both panels is the begining section of the timeline bar graph which indicates the frequency of events in regular time intervals. Notice that the circled section indicates little or no activity. 

Another thing to notice is that during that interval, the "Uniques" graph shows an extreme vertical range (noise) for the different variations while the remainder of the graph condenses the conversion lines into a tight pattern. 

Now, given that the ratio of "Totals" to "Uniques" is approximately 3:1, one can image how much further the conversion lines would be condensed.

Solution

Although I'm not entirely certain why there is absolutely nothing visible for these variations, the solution clearly presents itself:

Trim the Date Range to remove the outlying values at the beginning of the experiment. 

Fig. 2 - Uniques vs Totals (Custom Date Range)

Custom Date Range

For the Optimizely designers:

One potential feature adaptation that could help in this situation (and in general) would be to provide scaling on the vertical the same way it is provided for the timeline bar graph along the horizonal axis. 

Scott Ehly
Manager of Site Optimization
sehly@rentpath.com

'The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.' - George Bernard Shaw

Re: The Mystery of the Empty Totals Result Graph

Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting on Optiverse! Can you message me the ID of the experiment you've posted screenshots of? I'd like to have a look into your experiment to see if I can find out what might be going on here.

Best,
Nils
cubelodyte 04-14-16

[ Edited ]

It wasn't really a question.

Scott Ehly
Manager of Site Optimization
sehly@rentpath.com

'The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.' - George Bernard Shaw

Hi Scott,

On my profile page, there should be the text "Send this user a private message". You should be able to click that to send me a private message. Are you not seeing that?

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 15.31.53.png

Best,
Nils