Rich-text Reply

Tracking a Custom Conversion

NYCL 07-28-15
Accepted Solution

Tracking a Custom Conversion

Looking for the best way to test conversion (completed purchase) on a 2nd URL (we'll call "step-6") based on clicks on my homepage variations. I may have set it up properly but I'm not sure.

Currently have a second goal set based on Pageviews of step-6. Is this goal only tracking users who simply viewed step-6 but didn't necessarily convert on my click goal for homepage variation? Or will I be able to splice the results to show me that a user clicked on one variation homepage AND view step-6? That would be a complete test for me. To know that x variation drove more (or less) step-6 views. 

Level 1

siherron 07-28-15

Re: Tracking a Custom Conversion

Hi @NYCL,

Each 'Goal' you create is considered separately; the conversions in a 'goal' are de-duped and counted once. 

In your example, the click goal for your Homepage will be counted separately to your Pageviews goal on "Step-6". One conversion does not cannibalise the other.

• I click on your homepage 'Goal' and get counted and added to that pot. I then reach "Step 6" I get counted and added to that goal as well. For each goal, I am added once.

If you wanted to understand the crossover of Homepage clicks AND "Step 6" Pageviews, I would suggest you create a custom segment in order to capture that information - I would imagine that segment would be based on "Custom Event" criteria.

Does that help?

Simon Herron
Optimisation Consultant
Level 2
NYCL 07-28-15

Re: Tracking a Custom Conversion

Thank you, Simon!
Level 1