Rich-text Reply

Tracking a form page vs a popup form

djarsoftware 08-21-14

Tracking a form page vs a popup form

I have set up an experiment on menu item. 

Test A: Menu item clicks through to a web page that has the form then goes to the "Thank You" page

Test B: Menu item clicks opens the form in popup on the page then goes to the "Thank You" page

I have set up click goal on the menu item and pageview goal on the "Thank You" page.

Test A has an extra step in the process.  How can I add this page to funnel and not effect Test B?  Can I add a click goal to the submit button on the web page form?

Thanks

Amanda 08-21-14

Re: Tracking a form page vs a popup form

Hey there. What are you trying to capture specifically? Right now your goals are capturing the number of times a visitor continues to the form step and also the number of times the visitor completes the form (which I imagine is the main conversion goal).

If you want to track clicks on the submit button for the webpage form, you can just set up a click goal on this button like normal. When setting up your click goal, click on the blue expand button in the goal UI and then change out the URL for preview to be the form URL. You'll need to adjust the goal targeting settings as well. Read more about how to do this in our article here

If you want to track click goals on the pop-up form, you'll actually need to use a custom event to do this since the button doesn't actually exist on the page until after the visitor clicks the menu item. You can read about custom events here

Let me know if you need help with this or if I am misunderstanding your question in any way! 

Optimizely

Hello Amanda,

We are trying to see if we get better conversions with the popup form (Test B) or with going to a form page (Test A).

Test B is all set.  I have a click goal on the link and the pageview goal on the thank you.  I do not need to track the form submittion at this time for the popup.

My issue is Test A because click on the link (with a click goal set on it) take you to a form page.  Then from the form page to the thank you page (with the pageview goal).  We would like to know if people are clicking on this submit button on the form page.  Is it possible to add click goal on the form submittion page within the same experiment?  Something I feel that I should tell you too.  I am using the click goal on the link for both test versions.

Does this help?  Just let me know.

Thanks

Amanda 08-22-14

Yes this is possible. Also, if your thank you page URL is the same for both versions, then you will already be capturing the number of conversions for people who reach the "Thank you" page for both Test A vs. Test B

For Test A, if you also want to add in a click goal for the form page, you'll just follow these steps:

1. Click "Set up goals" in the top right
  2. Click "create new goal" and choose click goal from the dropdown
  3. Click the blue "Expand" button
  4. In the preview URL, type the form page URL from Test A and hit enter
  5. Choose the relevant button to be tracked in the UI. Un-expand the view
  6. In the "Advanced" section, choose the option "specify which page this goal should be tracked"
  7. Enter the form URL in this section
  8. Your click goal will now be tracked on the URL of the form page in Test A
  9. All the other goals you set up will also work as you currently have them set up

Does that sound like it will work?

Optimizely

Hello Amanda,

Sorry for the delayed response.

That sounds like that it will work for what we are trying to do. 

Thank you for the help.