Rich-text Reply

Tracking conversions with dynamic audience segments

mikefiorillo 06-24-16
Accepted Solution

Tracking conversions with dynamic audience segments

[ Edited ]

Hoping someone can help me answer a quesiton I have about Optimizely's report segmentation feature.

How does reporting work if a visitor moves from one segment to another? For instance, a company might have two segment, one for "customers" and one for "non-customers".

Now let's say you want to report the results of a test using these segments. Let's keep it simple and say you want to track whether an experiment gets more customers to download an eBook vs. non-customers.

Here's the tricky part. If one non-customer visits a landing page and converts, presumably the "non-customers" segment will have a 100% conversion rate. The question is, if that later becomes a customer, what will Optimizely report? Will the report reflect the change in audience assignment for that user, or is it based on what audience a user was in when the conversion happened?

ps. Happy this was not on the Optimizely certification test

Smiley Frustrated

Growth & optimization pro focused on SaaS
JasonDahlin 06-24-16

Re: Tracking conversions with dynamic audience segments

Goals are allocated to the user's segment at the time the goal is met.

If I am a non-buyer and then I purchase, the purchase goal is tied to the "non-buyer" segment.
If that same user, who is now in the "buyer" segment, makes a second purchase, that purchase shows up in the "buyer" segment.
--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero