Rich-text Reply

Tracking goal of any form on our site based on version of page visited

jwp902 01-04-17
Accepted Solution

Tracking goal of any form on our site based on version of page visited

I was trying to figure out the best way to track the workflow of measuring percentage of increase in form submissions (from anywhere on our website) based on having visited a specific Optimizely A/B test variation.

Trying to think through it I would assume it would be capturing the Optimizely cookie data and submitting it with the form but would that work with any form on our website and how does that feed the data if we have multiple experiments.

Trying to figure out if there would be an easier way. 

Level 1

robertchan 01-05-17

Re: Tracking goal of any form on our site based on version of page visited

I'd say logic-wise, I'd taking the following steps:

1) Visitor hits a variant, drop that visitor a cookie indicating what variant he/she belongs to
2) On the form, on submit, you will have logic that says that if the visitor has the cookie from step one and has clicked the submission, send Optimizely a custom goal conversion (let's call it A). If the visitor has hit submit and does not have the cookie from step one, send a different custom goal conversion (let's call it B). Compare the difference between A and B.
Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero
JasonDahlin 01-05-17

Re: Tracking goal of any form on our site based on version of page visited

You can create a "Click Based Goal" in Optimizely that listens for submission of the forms and add that goal to any/all experiments.  e.g., if all of your forms use an input named "submit", create a click goal with this as the tracked element:

form input[name='submit']

In the Optimizely dashboard reporting, "A vs B" will be broken down automatically for each experiment.

if you have multiple experiments running, the goal would be tracked separately inside each experiment that the user has seen up to the point where they submitted the form.

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero