Rich-text Reply

Tracking upsell as a goal

ilincev 05-27-15

Tracking upsell as a goal

Hi,
I need your help. I would like to track upsells in revenue tracking. The problem is I can either track just the upsell or track the whole transaction. Option 1 is risky as I might have bigger upsells, but smaller overall revenue. Option 2 does not tell me, what portion of the overall transaction is the upsell. I thought about custom events, but there is no value I can attach to the event.

Any ideas?
Ondrej Ilincev
conversion optimizer
Level 3

Re: Tracking upsell as a goal

Hi there,

Is there anything special that distinguishes an upsell from a regular sell? Perhaps you can walk us through a sample purchase.

Can you share the website? I'd be happy to do a mock purchase if you can provide me with a mock account/CC or credit. If so, please personal message me this information!

Best,
Amy
Amy Herbertson
Customer Success

[ Edited ]

If there is something that distinguishes an upsell, perhaps we can edit the 'eventName' to track it as an upsell.

I'll need to know more about the purchase funnel in order to advise...

<script>
window.optimizely = window.optimizely || [];
window.optimizely.push(['trackEvent', 'eventName', {'revenue': valueInCents}]);
</script>
Amy Herbertson
Customer Success
ilincev 06-04-15

Hi Amy,

thanks for your insights. The process is as follows:

1. choose a category
  2. if the category is a paid one, choose a paid plan
  3. fill in your advert
  4. upsell - pay for better position, nicer ad, etc.
  5. payment
  6. thank you page.

My questions is regarding number 2 and 4. The problem is that the overall price can be, just the upsell (4), paid plan and upsell (2+4). I need to distinguish between the two options and compare the ratio between 2 and 4. And most probably both steps will have an AB test running. Number 2 actually does, as we speak.

Did this explain things?

Thanks for your insights.

Ondrej

Ondrej Ilincev
conversion optimizer
Level 3
ilincev 06-04-15

Can I track more events with one transaction (with an ID)? So I can split the overall price into the Paid plan and Upsell?

Ondrej Ilincev
conversion optimizer
Level 3