Rich-text Reply

Tracking with UTM

Jerry4th 05-03-16

Tracking with UTM

Hi,

I have a challenge with testin A and B versions and tracking one to the actual behaviour in the app.

So, I am using optimizely to test version A and B to signups. But on the other hand, I would like to understand if there are differences between users that sign up on one of these variations.

My question is - is there a parameter that a signup can get with a certain variation? For example - currently we have a one link set up on our sign up button. A user gets redirected to the appstore if coming from an iOS device and to the web if he is coming from a PC.

I would also like to gets a user's variation from which one did he sign up eventually. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

Level 1

DavidS 05-04-16

Re: Tracking with UTM

Hi Jerry4th,

Thanks for reaching out to Optimizely Support!

If I understand correctly, you want to change the link to the sign up button based on if the visitor is on iOS or Android. 

This is possible to do but will require a bit of custom code to add in the <Edit Code> box. 

Basically, what you'll want to do is to check the user's device in each variation using something such as navigator.userAgent and change the href attribute of the signup button depending on the value of it. 

Another alternative is to set up two experiments: one with the audience setting set to target users on Desktops and one set to target iOS users. In each experiment, you will then set up the signup button link accordingly to the right app store.  The caveat is that you will be monitoring two experiments.

I hope that is helpful. Feel more than free to reply back with any additional questions at all.

Best,
David

Optimizely