Rich-text Reply

Troubleshooting Experiment

Romen 12-22-15

Troubleshooting Experiment

[ Edited ]

I've been using Optimizely for some time without any issues but for some reason I have activated a test and it isn't working. The results show zero visitors to the experiment. I have validated with the URL targeting that the pages on the website should have the test showing up yet when I go to that page nothing is happening. I have verified that the Optimizely code is on the page as well. What could cause the test to not function after it is activated?

Level 2

JDahlinANF 12-22-15
 

Re: Troubleshooting Experiment

A few things to check.

Step 1- there may have been an issue with the snippet making it's way to the CDN... edit one of your experiments, add a line break or something meaningless in the code editor and re-save the experiment.  With your developer console open, look to see which revision is being saved to the cdn.  When it is done saving, refresh your page and check to see if the experiment is now working.  If not, proceed to step 2.

 

Step 2- In your developer console, find out which revision of your snippet is running on this page.  Type this command and check the result against the number you noticed in step 1:

 

optimizely.revision

 

If the revision numbers match, but yor experiment is not running on the current page, proceed to step 3

 

Step 3- In your developer console, type this command:

 

optimizely.push("log")

 

A whole bunch of messages will appear in your console.  Filter or look through those messages for every time your experiment's ID is mentioned.  You will be looking for something like this:

 

Optimizely / Condition / Testing experiment 4045264617
Optimizely / Condition / Testing URLs for experiment 4045264617
Optimizely / Condition / Failed to match any URL for experiment 4045264617

 

 

in this example, it says that I failed URL targeting.  Other possibilities include failing to match the audience conditions.

 

Note: You can always start with Step 3 if you want... the first step tries to fix the issue, the second step is for verifying that you actually have an issus, step 3 helps you see what the issue is.

Romen 12-23-15
 

Re: Troubleshooting Experiment

Hello,

Ok, so in your step #2, the revision numbers do not match. What do I do?

Level 2
JDahlinANF 12-23-15
 

Re: Troubleshooting Experiment

@Romen - Make an edit to one of your experiments (like, add a carriage return to one of the code blocks - anything that lets you "Save" the experiment.

Romen 12-23-15
 

Re: Troubleshooting Experiment

Hi,

I actually did that but that didnt' fix the issue. When I inspected the save to CDN, in console it said revision 76, and on the website when I did the console inspection it said revision 78. Should I just delete my test and start over maybe?

Level 2
Romen 01-05-16
 

Re: Troubleshooting Experiment

OK, I've deleted that experiment and started over with a fresh new experiment and recreated all my work, but still the same issue. When I save the experiment it says revision 83 but on the website when I open console and do optimizely.revision it returns 78 still. I've never encountered this problem before, I've been running experiments for some time and never had any issue.
Level 2
Romen 01-05-16
 

Re: Troubleshooting Experiment

OK, I figured it out. There was a typo in the script when the code was copy and pasted onto the website which interestingly didn't cause Optimizely to fail, but it wasn't connecting to our account. I could still view and interact with the optimizely script through console but it wasn't running our experiments for that reason. Smiley Embarassed

Level 2