Rich-text Reply

Two landing page redirect experiments - Can they share a common redirect url?

c_edmonson 08-20-15
Accepted Solution

Two landing page redirect experiments - Can they share a common redirect url?

Hi,

I’d like to set up two separate redirect experiments that have two distinct target urls, but share a common redirect url.

Below is an example of what I’d like to deploy to make it easy on the client from having to duplicate the redirect page and creating a new distinct url.

Experiment 1:

Target url: landingpage.com/123

Redirect url: landingpage.com/xyz (with modifications made in Optimizely’s editor)

Experiment 2:

Target url: landingpage.com/456

Redirect url: landingpage.com/xyz (with modifications made in Optimizely’s editor)

If I use the same redirect page in both experiments will it skew the data? Or, do I have to duplicate the redirect page to have two distinct redirect urls?  

FYI…all the urls in both experiments are stand-alone landing pages.

Thanks in advance!

-Chris 

Amanda 08-20-15

Re: Two landing page redirect experiments - Can they share a common redirect url?

@c_edmonson - Good question. Are you going to be making different modifications to the landingpage.com/xyz  for experiment 1 and 2? If so, then I would recommend just adding a query string parameter to the redirect url to separate both of them: landingpage.com/xyz?source=1 and landingpage.com/xyz?source=2 for example. 

Data wise, the visitor is going to get bucketed into an experiment as soon as they visit the first URL. They will either stay on the original URL or get redirected. That being said, you should not need to worry about skewing the data assuming you are only looking at the results from Experiment 1 and 2 (not the experiment that is actually modifying the redirect page). 

Here's a couple support articles to look at regarding redirects. 

Setting up a redirect experiment

Click goals in a redirect experiment

Let us know if this helps clear things up for you. 

P.S. the reason you did not see this post show up originally is because it got caught by the spam filter (I think due to the example URLs). Sorry for the confusion! 

Optimizely
c_edmonson 08-20-15

Re: Two landing page redirect experiments - Can they share a common redirect url?

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the response as this definitely helps clear things up. Also thanks for the explanation on why my post didn't show up originally.

No, I will not be making different modifications to the landingpage.com/xyz for experiment 1 and 2.

However, just for future knowledge, if I were to be making different modifications to landingpage.com/xyz and I needed to add the query string parameter ?source=1 or ?source=2 on the redirect url, would that negate the live query parameters that i would like to carry over from the target urls? Or would the live query parameters carry over from the target urls and the new query string parameters (?source=1 or ?source=2) just be additionally included?
Amanda 08-20-15

Your second assumption is correct. When you set up a redirect page, there is a little check box next to the redirect URL that confirms you want to carry over the existing parameters. So, the source=1 would be in addition. 

If for some reason you did *not* want to carry over the paramters, then just uncheck the box. 

redirect.png

Optimizely
c_edmonson 08-20-15

Excellent. Thanks Amanda.