Rich-text Reply

Unable to attach click events to redirect Variation

abidbc 05-05-15

Unable to attach click events to redirect Variation

Really simply question here:

I have a Variation being used for a redirect so that I can A-B test homepages on a website. However, I'd also like to be able to attach click events to buttons and links on both the Original and redirected Variation.

When I attempt to use the Editor to attach click events to the Variation, the entire site is greyed out and unclickable:

http://i.imgur.com/ZklqWfI.jpg

I'm assuming I must be using the Variation incorrectly, but can't seem to figure out how to accomplish both tasks.

Level 1

MartijnSch 05-05-15

Re: Unable to attach click events to redirect Variation

What you could do (mostly if there are not that many events to be tracked), find out the selectors that trigger the clicks and then use these to set up the click goals manually. It can be a pain to do so, but this is definintely the hack to help you get started as soon as possible.

Somebody from the Optimizely team might jump in later to come up with a better solution from within the interface.

Re: Unable to attach click events to redirect Variation

Hi @abidbc,

@MartijnSch is on the right path - advanced goal targeting is the key to tracking clicks on a redirect page.  We have a Knowledge Base article here that describes the process of setting up click goal tracking on redirects.  The key is clicking the Advanced dropdown below the goal editor window.

Once you've had a chance to try that process, please let us know if everything works or if you need more help.  Thanks!

Harrison Krat
Solutions Architect | Optimizely, Inc.
harrison@optimizely.com