Rich-text Reply

Unique URL for a new variant

jacobkyoung 09-26-16

Unique URL for a new variant

Is it possible to create a unique URL for a new variant which we can directly push traffic to?

Thanks!

AshK 09-26-16

Re: Unique URL for a new variant

You can use the preview parameter to directly push traffic but this is used mostly for sharing the preview links.

The better method is using Traffic Allocation to allocate 100% of traffic to the Variant on Optimizely. This makes it much easier to make changes to a page when you may not have resources to change the source code on the server. Here's more information on how to do this:

https://help.optimizely.com/Target_Your_Visitors/Traffic_Allocation%3A_Limit_experiment_traffic_or_l...

This is a good way to implement winners immediately when pressed for time (duplicate the test and turn 100% of traffic to your variation).

Does this answer your question?

--

Ash

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, that's made all the difference"
Level 4
jacobkyoung 09-26-16

Hey Ash,

Thanks for the answer!

Here's my use case: we're looking to create a few customized variants then push PPC traffic to these pages. I know this isn't typically the use of Optimizely, so not sure if it's possible (we aren't necessarily looking to a/b test these pages.

Jacob
AshK 09-26-16

[ Edited ]

Hey Jacob,

It isn't a regular use case but we've used Optimizely this way in the past - in one case we ran tests to Optimize  the PPC funnels for one of our clients.

It is possible as long as you create audiences based on the query parameters that are at the end of the URLs (from your adwords campaign) and then create custom experiences based on the parameters.

Here's some reading from the knowledge base on going about this:

https://help.optimizely.com/Build_Experiments/Optimize_based_on_Paid_Ad_Campaigns_or_SEM

You'd have to create a new experiment with a new audience for each 100% experience. There is another option if you wanted to test the pages against each other but I won't inundate you with information you don't need Smiley Wink

Ash

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, that's made all the difference"
Level 4