Rich-text Reply

Using free version to get buy-in - are there any limitations?

nicolastrand 07-15-15

Using free version to get buy-in - are there any limitations?

Hi all,

I hope I've posted this in the right location, feel free to move if not.

I've recently started using the free version of Optimizely on my own website, mainly to get used to the interface as I get very little traffic at the moment (it's still in the early stages). So far, so good.

Working with it on my own website is a good start however I desperately want to be able to start AB testing pages in my real life work. I'm building my case for AB testing which I will present in about three weeks, after management are back from vacation.

My question: one argument I know I will come up against is the paying for of software. Therefore, would I be able to use the free version of Optimizely with our company website in order to help build that case? I'm talking about picking the "low hanging fruit" (for want of a less clichéd phrase!) and am planning on starting with our SEM landing pages. I know there are limitations to the free version however having never used a premium version I'm unsure of what I will and won't be able to do.

Any help or feedback is much appreciated!

MartijnSch 07-16-15

Re: Using free version to get buy-in - are there any limitations?

Hi Nicola,

How much traffic do you have on your site? That's the biggest question in making sure you're on the right plan or not. If you don't have that much traffic you could easily stay on the smallest plan.

Hi there,

Our company website gets a LOT. Without going into actual numbers I can tell you it's always in excess of 1m sessions per month. Would a free plan be able to do anything worthwhile, even if it's something seemingly small like adding an extra call to action on a landing page?

I'd just like to prove that AB testing is worth doing before moving onto the next stage of trying to convince them to part with money, as that part will be challenging. I've got data that I can go to them with in terms of "if I can increase this by X% then we'd be looking at £X extra per month/year etc" but i'd like to be able to add more value to this with a very simple test.

Thanks!
sophiejane 07-17-15

Nicola, I can see from your profile that you're located in Denmark, so I'm reaching out -- I'm the representative for the Nordics markets! Hi!

You can absolutely gain results on the free plan! The only thing is that you'll only be able to test a small amount of your traffic and you'll hit the monthly limit fairly early on in the month, after which you'll have to wait until it resets to the next month. Of course we can strategize about what kind of tests we could do that will help you build your business case despite the initial traffic limitations. I can also help you with finding relevant case studies and such.

I'd be happy to help you out building your business case, please email me at sophiejane@optimizely.com and we can talk about suitable testing ideas!
Optimizely